Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Crown Vic Wheel Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM

Crown Vic Wheel Covers

Some had asked if I'd post pics when I got them. I'll probably run these covers until I feel like modifying my steel wheels to use the smoothies. I'm not too keen on changing over to steel valve stems just to run wheel covers, and I'm darn sure not in a hurry to weld a piece of bar stock on the inside of the rim to keep the smoothies from "walking" around the wheel and tearing up the valve stems.

The Crown Vic covers are plastic and they seem to be staying put. Ah, the wonders of modern petrochemical technology.

Name:  crownviccovers1.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  crownviccovers2.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  18.2 KB

Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 PM

mmm... I don't know. I'm on the fence about the look. I do think full coverage smoothies like oneton has will look great. For a hardcore retro look, you would paint the steel wheels to match your RPO paint code, and then put on baby moons.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Yeah, I'm not ga-ga over them, but they're acceptable to me. Much better than the stock spoke-type covers, IMO.

My preferred wheel treatment is usually baby moons with trim rings, but no one makes baby moons to fit these wheels. In order to do that for these smooth steel wheels, someone would have to use some type of adapter held on by the lugs, then the moons would snap over the adapter.

Sure, I could spring for a set of steel smoothies with center caps, but I'm not willing to cut loose with that much money for wheels. My car's a daily driver, it's not worth it to me to spend that kind of money on appearance items.

Last edited by 08HHRPA; 07-26-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 AM

crown vic covers

Hey, I like them even better than the racing discs. I agree the moons are better, but I dont want to modify the stock rims. I think they have a neo clasical look to em. A little modern with a little old skool. The also remind me of the old artilary wheels. I think ill be ordering some soon.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 AM

to help keep hub caps from"walking" and tearing up the stems I've used some black RTV silicone (I'm sure any color would work) on the tabs that hold the cap to the rim and it works great. It holds them on, keeps them still and you can still pull them off when needed.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Angry Nice

Hey Doug:

Nice look! keep em' on!

I like yourself got a set of those moonies form hubcap mike----man---did they look great----for about two days til they started traveling into the stems.

I like yourself refuse to do any modification to a wheel so they would work---the manufacturer (or mike) should have already come up with a non-invasive fix--like redesigning the damn thing so it would NOT travel. Seems simple enough (DAAaaa).

Sent mine back for a refund---now still looking for a decent set of caps that looks as nice as those smoothies---so far---no cigar! I was really hoping that somewhere in the world of the internet---some hubcap place would be able to satisfy my liking---all I see is Plastic--plastic---PLASTIC!!! chinese platic!!

next--i guess I will look into a set of painted wheels

Sorry guys and gals for the rant---my own fault---should have gotten a set at time of delivery---cheap, I guess!

peace!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM

I think they look pretty cool...

Dare to be different... you're the first to try it... makes your HHR unique...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Yeah, it's too bad that the steel wheels have to be modified to keep the smoothies from moving. It seems to be a very common problem with metal full wheel covers, not just with the HHR or the smoothies. Some guys on a Chrysler Imperial forum were talking about the same problem with stock hubcaps.

The stock steel wheels flex too much with all the holes they have in them. The covers are too stiff and they seem to kind of "spin" in the retaining groove on the wheel rim, no matter how much you bend the gripping teeth out. The plastic covers haven't budged in the slightest.

I asked my tire guy about steel valve stems and he said they don't work with the TPMS. He also said he doesn't see anything wrong with putting a small spot of weld in each wheel for the teeth to sit against to keep them from spinning.

Hubcapmike's offered to refund my money, but I might do something with them later to see if I can get them to work. I like the way they look. I'm still looking for some type of center cap to use with trim rings. I just think these vehicles look better with steel wheels.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Red face Wheels

Doug:

If you find anything that might work--let me know. I also feel that the HHR looks much better with the right caps 9not really gtreat with after market wheels) if they can be found. As I said---those smoothies were ausome----too bad they don't make steel hubs similar to the plastic ones that attach via the center stems---works well for the plastic.

take care
Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm wondering if these center caps are held on by the lug nuts like the original hubcaps. They fit a Grand Am with 16X6.5 factory wheels, but I don't know if that's alloy or steel. I haven't seen any Grand Ams to take a look.

I think they'd look pretty good with narrow trim rings.

http://www.wheelskin.com/Merchant2/m...gm-center-caps

Quick Reply: Crown Vic Wheel Covers