Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Custom Cell Phone Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 PM

Custom Cell Phone Mount

Just got my HHR a few weeks ago, after not being able to find any good spots to accomodate my old universal cell phone mount, I set out to make my own custom piece. Just wanted to share some pictures:

Name:  IMG_4531_zpsmcnwhu7d.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  319.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4532_zpsis2xtorn.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  315.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4534_zpsydpxhnp2.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  284.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4538_zpsmld2oxjn.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  263.6 KB

Bought some heavy aluminum channel from McMaster Carr and some aluminum angle from my local Ace Hardware. Drilled and tapped the heavy channels to mount screws into them from behind. Painted the metal with some engine paint and mounted felt tape inside to keep things snug. The height of the side pieces are such that the charging cable can still be inserted, the home button can still be pressed, and the ambient light sensor is still exposed.

I positioned the mount to keep the speedo and tach completely visible when the phone is in place, and when the phone is removed, nothing gets blocked. It does block the digital readout with the phone in place, but I only use this mount when using GPS so that doesn't really bother me. With the way it's mounted, the the wheel can tilt nearly all the way up as well. Works great, doesn't block my view of the road, but is still easy to glance down at the phone in that place and keep the road in my peripheral. Anyway, just wanted to share the idea with others. Thanks for looking!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:15 PM

Great, now I have another project for the HHR. I have a galaxy SIII smart phone I can use with my paid for copy of Torque and the cheap ELM327 OBDII interface.

This will beat the hell out of the flexible gizmo I have been using.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:40 AM

mount looks great. I've just been placing my phone in that spot and so far no issues. No one else drives my panel so nothing gets adjusted ie steering wheel.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Cool, now mount up, and move out, we're going on a road trip!!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Great, now I have another project for the HHR. I have a galaxy SIII smart phone I can use with my paid for copy of Torque and the cheap ELM327 OBDII interface.

This will beat the hell out of the flexible gizmo I have been using.
Yup, that would definitely make a nice addition to the stock gauges. This mount design would work for most phones really, just have to play with how high you fasten it and which channels you choose... mcmaster has a large variety, so should be easy to find what you need. I used some rubber washers in between the aluminum angle and gauge bezel since the bezel is curved... helped take up the angular mismatch.

Originally Posted by zman
mount looks great. I've just been placing my phone in that spot and so far no issues. No one else drives my panel so nothing gets adjusted ie steering wheel.
Originally Posted by Oldblue
Cool, now mount up, and move out, we're going on a road trip!!
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 AM

I have a kinda klunky mostly soft rubber cover case called an OTTER BOX {expensive at the time} for the phone. Its supposed to be more drop proof and resist water better with it.

To me its just gunky but its paid for and I guess it has helped keep me from killing the phone.

I have some plastic channel that the phone and case fit in so I'm trying to figure out if I want to try and glue it at 45 degrees on the corners or lap them over.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 09-22-2015 at 04:52 PM.