Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Custom Grille Idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Custom Grille Idea

I just bought a grille on ebay and I want to play with it. At first I thought about doing a three bar, but now I don't know. While looking at my ebay grille I had an epiphany, why not leave all of the bars and make the bowtie disappear. I have looked over a lot of threads on grille mods to no avail.

Has anyone removed the bowtie, replacing it with a piece of grille leaving just the grille bars?

Weather is going to prevent me from getting on this right away plus I need to find a grille bar that someone has removed for their three bar mod (Hint-Hint ). I also plan on putting the Chevrolet script on the top of the grille.

Any and all ideas are welcome.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Something like this?

Pic courtesy of SindyDix:

Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Bingo.............We have a winner. Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Does this car belong to a forum member?

My plans also call for rechroming using Liquid Chrome.

Thanks Hillsdale
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM

The car belongs to SindyDix.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by cosmic1
....Does this car belong to a forum member?
Yep, thats Meeeeeee!

I had a friend who does body work do that for me. He said it was a pain in the arse to do. He also said it's something he would not do again!

A special material plastic was used to reform/create the bar once the bow-tie was removed. He did NOT simply use Bondo filler.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Another option that's not really hard. Do a three bar and use the left over to fill in the emblem.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM

If you used a piece of left over like dirtsurfer suggests, I don't think it would be too hard. Now I just have to talk someone who has done a three bar out of their leftover bars. Since the weather here is real crappy right now, I probably won't be able to get to it for a month or two.

If anyone has any left over bars PM me and lets work something out.

Thanks all, you are
Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM

cosmic1,

"My plans also call for rechroming using Liquid Chrome."

Can you, (or anyone else) tell me about this product???

Mo
Old 03-01-2010, 03:02 PM

I might have a couple of bars left out of a grill I started to mod and then decided to sell. I will look in my basement later on this evening and let you know.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

what brand of "liquid chrome"???most chrome paints or claim to be chrome paints usually turn out pretty crappy...not what u would xpect..there is a product out there but is very very $$$$$$..12 ounce bottle goes for about 450$ and must be used only with proper base color and clear cote..ill call a buddy of mine and get the name..I have found that to do chrome on the cheap use. good primer...auto air..base, opaque white..followed by "base aluminum" then "argent silver" followed by a candy clear..then buff ur brains out..turns out not bad..refects light like chrome but just not as vibrant..im sure if u look online u can find sumone that can "chrome" plastic..its relativly cheap and a lot less work..final result will be the judge,,.....

Quick Reply: Custom Grille Idea