Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Darker top dash panel removable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM

Darker top dash panel removable?

Was wondering if anyone know if the darker gray colored top dash panel is actually a separate piece from the lighter mid section. It appears to be simply layed over the lighter section but it may actually be molded as one piece. Reason I ask is I thought a good idea would be to remove that top section and cover it with a nice soft UV resistant vinyl to soften up the look of the dashboard. Maybe something with a nice leather-like grain to it.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 PM

It might be. If it is, it probably has those tap that are melted down to hold it together from the factory. I usually use small screws to put these pieces back together after separating them.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM

It is possible, a few here have removed it and had it customized.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 PM

thats my old hhr its a pain in the butt,but it can be done the worst part is the airbag,and sanding it smooth...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjnappo
thats my old hhr its a pain in the butt,but it can be done the worst part is the airbag,and sanding it smooth...
Cool, so you've done it. What actually holds it down? Do you have to remove the whole dash to get it off? Also is the airbag cover removable and is the storage console easily removed?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM

Is that how you get it smooth, you sand it? Give details please, I'd like to do it, I really don't like rough look. I and a bunch of others I'm sure would appreciate any info on this process.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I also wondered how hard it is to remove. I was thinking of removing the dark gray, make a template and make a new one out of wood. Maybe Ash. But that will more than likely take place next year. Have to wait and see how my follow up test go after my surgery
Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 PM

mostly clips hold it down i think theres a few screws ,in the middle vent in the top and in the top glove box and uder inside the gauge cluster.as for the air bag you have to take of the glove box (lower) and get on your back with and long 10mm socket and extenstion and there are 2 long bolts with nuts all the way at the top once they are taken all the way off the airbag comes right out and you have to take the cover off then and dont forget to unplug the airbag and remove the fuse.....as for the texture you have to wet sand it off but you have to be careful because if you sand in one place to long the plastic will get hot and will melt the dust and you will have a mess ,then you have to use filler to level the surface ,and i recommend a body shop for there is alot of prep to make sure the paint dont lift i hope this helps...anymore questions dont hesitate to ask.oh and there are screws behind the front of where the radio is
Old 11-14-2007, 06:46 AM

When I prep interior plastic I usually sand it first then spray it with adhession promoter (makes paint stick to plastic) if you skip using adhession promoter you'll probably have problems in the future with the paint not sticking, most of the time it's the heat from the sun that kills it. After adhession promoter You layer it wil heavy urathane filler prime used for autobody work this take several coats and alot of sanding. After you get it smooth it's ready for base coat/clear coat. It's usually a couple day job but looks great in the end.

As far as having it done.. remove the whole dash from the car.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 AM

Is the main windshield defroster vent itself molded into the top dash panel or is it just a separate removable trim piece snapped into the opening like the side defroster vents are. If I decide to cover the dash in vinyl, finishing it off around the vent will be hard to do and get a clean look. Would be easier to remove the defroster vent trim and then putting it back on after the vinyl is laid to give it clean edge.

Quick Reply: Darker top dash panel removable?