Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

DetailersPutArmorallOnMyRims....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:26 PM

DetailersPutArmorallOnMyRims....

As per my post in " General HHR", I bought my new HHR Saturday.

This may be a stupid question but I was talking with the salesman after he followed me home in the car I didn't trade in. I live a ways out in the country and have to drive the last mile on gravel road. After he arrived he said that I should have told him about the gravel and he wouldn't have had the guys put armorall on my rims. I told him, "why do you think I ordered the running boards?" He knew, I guess he forgot.

My question is, is it normal to put armorall on the rims? I have the 16" Machine-faced aluminum wheels.

If not, what's the best way to get it off?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 PM

Talked to my boyfriend who is a detailer and he said hot, soapy water should take it off...just wash them really good with a sponge or wash mitt. He also said it is NOT normal to put Armor All on rims...all it does is make them look shiny and turn them into a dust magnet.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Talked to my boyfriend who is a detailer and he said hot, soapy water should take it off...just wash them really good with a sponge or wash mitt. He also said it is NOT normal to put Armor All on rims...all it does is make them look shiny and turn them into a dust magnet.
Thanks to you and your boyfriend. I kinda figured it was a cheap shot on their part. Anything to make it look good I guess.

I can vouch for the dust magnet part.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by riverwind
If not, what's the best way to get it off?
The best way I can think of is to have the morons who put it on take it off!!!

ArmorAll isn't designed for chrome, metal, or aluminum!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM

Are you sure it's Armorall and not silicone? A lot of dealers use silicone on the wheels and tires to make them look shiny for a few days. If it's Armorall, isopropyl alcohol will take it off. Silicone washes off with a bit of scrubbing and some Dawn dishwashing liquid.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Are you sure it's Armorall and not silicone? A lot of dealers use silicone on the wheels and tires to make them look shiny for a few days. If it's Armorall, isopropyl alcohol will take it off. Silicone washes off with a bit of scrubbing and some Dawn dishwashing liquid.
I'm sure the salesman said it was Armorall. I'll call him today to make sure it wasn't Silicone. Thanks for the tips, Firewathcer.

EZ4U2CHere, It would probably be just as time consuming to take it in and let them do it. You're right I should make them do it, but just I'll do it myself. To me the less it's in the dealership the better.