Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Dry Ice Dent Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Dry Ice Dent Removal?

OK. I've seen a few demos on YouTube (Google Dry Ice Dent Removal).

I can't believe it actually works. My dent is on the rear gate. Someone backed into me. It is the size of a basketball about.

I will end up going to paintless dent removal but was wondering if anyone has had experience with the dry ice?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 PM

never heard of it.. but PDR rocks
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 PM

I just watched the video on youtube and the guy says at the end this does not work because as soon as the car is exposed to heat in the sun the dent will reappear.

SPPD
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 AM

its called metal shrinking and its usually done in body working conditions when the metal has been over worked and becomes stretched out and actually to large to be worked into the original shape.I have done it with a torch and a wet rag. it dose work to regain its size and shape but I have never done it with paint on a panel still it was always bare metal.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 PM

I tried this with a can of freon upside down instead of dry ice on my geo metro and I wouldn't believe that it works unless i hadn't done it myself. I got a 5" long fender dent out with this technique, and the dent never came back.

Thanks,
Richard

'09 Chevrolet HHR SS
'07 Chevrolet HHR LT
'99 Chevrolet Metro
'69 Pontiac Catalina
Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by chudlychudson
I tried this with a can of freon upside down instead of dry ice on my geo metro and I wouldn't believe that it works unless i hadn't done it myself. I got a 5" long fender dent out with this technique, and the dent never came back.

Thanks,
Richard

'09 Chevrolet HHR SS
'07 Chevrolet HHR LT
'99 Chevrolet Metro
'69 Pontiac Catalina
I have seen videos on this technique. The short repair: Heat the dented area with a hair drier, using an aerosol dust can, invert it and sray on the heated area. The dent pops out.

I need to try this on a small dent in the fender of the HHR.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Dry ice can absolutely take out dents. There is a good article on this dry ice website. There are just a few steps to get get it to work.
  1. Clean the dent
  2. Heat the dent with a hair dryer
  3. Apply dry ice to the center of the dent
  4. Remove dry ice
  5. Allow the dent to warm up to normal temperature
  6. If dent did not come out repeat (it could take up to 4 times)
Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Former Sponsor

on behalf of your local body shop..go ahead..lol..this is a trick best left to capable hands..the ice can accually over shrink the metal and cause more damage then what you started with..im sure there is some grey haired fella in the niehbourhood..hed be able to help ya..I caved my hood a while back pushing on it too hard..the metal is thin..very easily workable stuff..just be patient..if you can get in behing the panel.just massage it...goodluck but id go pdr first...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 AM

As a guy who owned a body shop as well as upholstery shop for many years, I will say that virtually all these techniques will work sometimes, if properly done, but there is no magic wand.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 AM

You can also use keyboard air can cleaner as an alternative to dry ice. Simply turn it upside down when spraying. Remember, it's liqued nitrogen in the can, super cold!

Quick Reply: Dry Ice Dent Removal?