Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Front Bowtie

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:46 AM

Steve,

I think it could be possible my front had been changed because I found it necessary to changed the rear one when I bought it.
The rear part I bought fit the bar perimeter frame perfectly so I know the rear size is correct and it was an Original GM packaged part.
For that reason I am still in doubt about the size difference.
I rechecked mine again and they measure the same.
However ... They made the two parts with different Part Numbers so there must be a difference.
I still think it is in the amount of curve of the grill. If you had the 2 parts side by side I think you could see that curve much easier.
And yes your right ... the front goes on with tape as well.

Silverfox
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

OK. You folks got me curious and I went out and measured. The "gold" part of the front and rear emblems seem to be the same size. The difference I see is the chrome bezels are different. The front one is wider because it has a little more taper or angle to it.
These pictures don't show it that well but I did include the measurements.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:26 AM

George,
Now you got me confused.....
I rechecked to make sure where I was measuring from and then Taped a straight line vertically at each end.
That is the overall measurement of the bow tie only including the chrome ring.
Does the SS show the same part numbers as the rest if the fleet?

Both front and rear are exactly the same. 7 1/8" O.A.

Silverfox
Old 07-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Hmm. Not sure. I always thought the regular HHR's and the SS's had the same emblems. I'll do a little parts #'s check and get back with an answer.

EDIT::: According to a parts look up (GM parts catalogue), they show the same parts #'s for all models.
Front----20836156
Rear-----19209664
Old 07-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Thank you, FMG. Your SS has the most pristine original bowtie, front and rear.
So, it’s the extra chrome base that is the difference from the front emblem and the rear emblem, hence different part numbers
all HHR’s have the same front and rear emblem part numbers.

So, someone could buy the cheaper rear emblem, remove the gold plastic bowtie and adhere it to their front chrome base, just a hot rodders suggestion
Old 07-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

So, someone could buy the cheaper rear emblem, remove the gold plastic bowtie and adhere it to their front chrome base, just a hot rodders suggestion

The chance of doing this without damaging the foil? Not very good.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue;849042[left
So, someone could buy the cheaper rear emblem, remove the gold plastic bowtie and adhere it to their front chrome base, just a hot rodders suggestion[/left]
I don't think so. The front emblem has more curvature to it. The rear emblem if put on the front wouldn't stick down flush.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The front bowtie is larger, adheres to the grille with doublesided tape.

Silverfox it is plausible that your front bowtie was replaced by the PO before you bought it.
note some ads on EBay show they also fit the Silverado front grille, but they don’t.
I fell for that myself a few years ago, thankfully my friend needed a rear bow tie for his Chevy Uplander.

OldSwede, it’s not an engineering deal, just what’s in the parts bin that fits.
the front bow tie delaminates and takes all the stone chips and has always been over priced.
Interesting. I popped the plastic front bow tie off the chrome base and intend to repaint it body color (Golden Teal). I did find out something else that is interesting; the plastic part is not symmetrical - it does not fit back onto the chrome base upside down.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Thank you for implying that they they are infact different.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:48 PM

Heck, my man, I am not "implying" anything. I have owned this rig for exactly eight days. The emblems appear to be the same SIZE on mine, but with different fastening methods. My back one pried off easily, and wa easy and relatively cheap to replace. When I tried to pry off the front one, the plastic bowtie popped off and fell to the ground. So, I sanded it, primed it and painted it body color. It will do for now; I have a bunch of front end maintenance items (164k) to do and have no.more time for cosmetics.

Quick Reply: Front Bowtie