Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Has anyone tried tail light leds

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Has anyone tried tail light leds

Has anyone replaced the stock tail light bulbs with direct fit LEDS? I see on some sights they may not work with the GM computer controled wiring. I assume it will not acknowledge the bulb because of the low amp draw.If you have done this include a link as to what you used. Also, would the flasher have to be replaced for one that accepts LEDS. I just did my license plate lights and they worked fine.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I recently installed THESE and I love them. As you suspect, they create a hyperflash situation- which I actually like and may not change- because the computer thinks they're burned out. You need the load resistors to get back to the 80 flash/minute stock rate. If anyone knows why I shouldn't leave the flash rate fast, please post here.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM

you may get haslled by the police since the classic sign of a burnt bulb is that fast flash, they may stop you thinking its burned out. I guess it could get you a fix it ticket????
Old 11-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
they may stop you thinking its burned out.
Hmmmmm..... they see it flashing fast and think it's burned out? I guess stranger things have happened.
I've never done LED's before so I have no experience with this. Gonna have to investigate.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM

I meant if they see the front flashing fast they may think the rear on the same side is burnt and either pull ya over or follow you to see if it is burnt. Its a long shot but I thought it was worth stating. When I change over to led I'll most likely let the thing flash fast and see if I like it. I see alot of lil hondas runnin' around with that going on and it kinda lets ya know they did it wrong or didn't do it completly and I don't think I would want people thinking I did a half ars job on it.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 PM

That computer controlled wiring never crossed my mind, what was wrong with the old method most of us understood. Battery, wire, brake, switch, light bulb, that was so simple, don't know why they had to stick a computer into the circuit. I know,, create jobs, increase cost, heck I don't really know , somebody must.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 PM

I think the Spyderlites are better. They have more LED's on the front than those and also have some on the back of the "legs", so more light gets reflected like the stock bulbs.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
I think the Spyderlites are better. They have more LED's on the front than those and also have some on the back of the "legs", so more light gets reflected like the stock bulbs.
Yeah, yours are DEFINITELY cool- but I already had mine when I first saw them. The more different kinds, the better! You installed the load resistors, I assume?
Mine do have a row of lights around the "sides" that bounce off the reflectors. That's a must IMO.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 PM

im getting ready to do a custom LED taillight.
gonna do the ring of LEDs as running lights and have an LED bulb as the brake and turn.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 PM

I got the lights and load resistors used for $50. That's the only reason I have them. I'm thinking about replacing them with IPCW's, whenever they release them.

The lights on ebay would be $30 shipped for two. Spyderlites are a little more, but they're worth it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried tail light leds