Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

How To Apply Vintage Chevy Chrome To Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM
FXM

How To Apply Vintage Chevy Chrome To Fenders

Looking for some tips on applying some vintage Chevy Chrome to the fenders of my Premier HHR. I ordered (2) 1954-chrome-"CHEVROLET" from FILLINGSTATION.COM. I do not want to attach with bolts etc. Has anyone ever applied vintage Chevy chrome lettering with 3M tape? How do you grind the pin posts off the chrome? Where can you find double sided 3m moulding tape? Lots of questions....sorry!
FXM
Doof Si Efil
Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 PM

Now, I haven't done it..........yet.

But I have read that yes, grind the post off. Then, apply the following 3M tape to the back:
Part # 03615. Automotive stores should carry it.

Use an X acto knife to trim real nice, then peel and place on your HHR. Make sure you remove any wax from the body with alcohol before applying or it will work it's way off. And make sure your aim is good! It will be hard to work around once it's attached.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Just an idea,I would measure and mark with a grease pencil the bottom line of where you will put it.A carpenters level will assure you of an even placement.Just a couple of small dots would do.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:17 PM

I put the Chevrolet script on my HHR and it was pretty simple.

You can buy the double sided tape at most auto parts stores or Walmart, like the stuff Firewatcher posted above.

I took a pair of pliers and snapped off the posts. Then I used my dremel tool to remove the excess left so it was nice and flat. Then I took the tape and placed the emblem on there. This is where the fun starts.

With an exacto knife you need to cut in and around each letter on the emblem. Took me a couple hours to do both of them. Then use some alcohol to remove the wax from the area you are placing the emblem. You might want to test fit where it's going to go, as it may need to be bent slightly to fit the contour of the car. You might even want to use some sort of chalk or marking pen (dry erase) to indicate where it needs to be placed. I eyeballed mine and it turned out really nice I think.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM

Looks a little crooked Deb...just kidding,nice job.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM

What they all said is right on, just make sure your car is on even ground, and if you lower the rear after it might be off just a tic. Just take your time, ck and reck
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 AM

Just like on "This Old House", "measure twice, cut once"
Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 AM

Yup. They have said it all. I did it and am quite happy. Did not use a dremel, but a privative tool, a hacksaw. Then I took the chrome to my grinding wheel to get the stumps off the back. I even painted the sawed areas before applying the tape.
An hour of tape cutting for each is about right.

I was debating portholes or script, when suddenly I ordered the script and followed through. No regrets. Makes your HHR stick out from the pack.
Have fun
Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 AM

I was at Medved Chevrolet visiting with BryceStrong, another member of the forum when another salesman came out and started looking at the car. He said "I didn't know those came with the old vintage script." I said..."They don't...I put that on myself." He then wanted to know if I had drilled holes through the hood to attach it and I told him how I did it. Said it looked great and like it came stock with the car.