Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

How do you clean the cloth seat's ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:48 AM

Angry How do you clean the cloth seat's ?

Have spot's and dirt on them. Used cleaner and it make's the spot's bigger. Leave's a stain there getting bad.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:11 AM

I haven't had that problem yet, but I scotch guarded mine as soon as I bought my HHR. So far so good. What kind of cleaner did you use?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:15 AM

I've never Scotchguarded anything myself. It has already been done prior to purchase. Is it easy to apply?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
I've never Scotchguarded anything myself. It has already been done prior to purchase. Is it easy to apply?
It really easy. It is in an aerosol can and you just have to spray it on.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:43 AM

I was out cleaning my windows one day and the windex bottle leaked on my seat and left a stain.I'm sure it will come out but I don't know what I should use to clean it.Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Deceased

I use Armor All Carpet and Upholstery cleaner and follow the instructions.

make sure you use a warm damp or fairly wet rag or small towell to clean up or wipe or rub out the foam and let the foam pretty much collapse before you do. Do the whole area and not just the spot.

open doors or windows and let it dry and it is very clean
Old 03-21-2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by cj krause
I use Armor All Carpet and Upholstery cleaner and follow the instructions.

make sure you use a warm damp or fairly wet rag or small towell to clean up or wipe or rub out the foam and let the foam pretty much collapse before you do. Do the whole area and not just the spot.

open doors or windows and let it dry and it is very clean

Thanks CJ
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 AM

Cloth Seats

I wish I'd gotten leather...
I have 4 grandson's, 6, 5, 4, & 2.
I now have a blanket covering the back seat when they are in the car. I have to clean the seats more than any other 5 cars I've owned combined.

Chevy if you read this, do better on the next models seat colors and fabrics.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:43 PM

I bought a huge spray bottle - 1/2 gallon? -- of Scotch Guard carpet protector for $8 (!) in a discount store and treated my HHR, Capri, and wife's Mustang and still have over half the bottle left. Did everything including the headliners and mats in all three vehicles.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:28 PM

I was in the drycleaning business early in my career and never have a problem in removing spots, but I do it quickly before the stains set.

For food spots, beer, liquor, coffee, vomit, etc., always use a mixture of liquid soap and mostly water (or try upholstery cleaner that is water based - check the label). It is best to have a clean towel handy to keep soaking up the excess moisture and the stains. Rub from the center of the stain outwards with the dry towel to minimize a ring, or better (on a seat) to clean the whole panel. Most stains in upholstery are this type of stain. There are some very good rug spot removers on the market (aerosol cans) that work well on most stains. The secret on this type of stain is to get it off quickly. If there are a heavy food spots on the surface, rub off the excess with a dry cloth or even scrape off excess with a piece of cardboard before attempting to remove the stain below, as you want to minimize the amount of stain that can soak into the upholstery as much as possible. Blood stains are removed using cold water and a cloth. You can add a very small amount of ammonia to the water for blood stains, but check an inside surface of the material first, as it can pull the color.

For grease stains, oil, etc. always use a solvent-type cleaner (not water-based cleaner). Blot up the stain with a dry towel and work from the center of the stain out to minimize a ring. Ink stains are another story, as they often spread and look worse after trying to remove them with solvent-type cleaner. If an ink stain is very light, such as a mark from a pen, you can probably remove it, but keep blotting it up with a clean towel, or it will spread back into the fabric. If a ball point pen soaks a big glob into the upholstery, you will probably end up having to replace the panel. Magic markers and lipstick are handled the same way as grease and ink stains, using solvent-type cleaners.

Do not deviate from this proceedure and you will find that most spots can be easily removed. The secret is to remove the stains quickly, before they set. Coffee with cream and milk, as well as blood, will set if not removed almost immediately. As others have suggested, it is best to first spray the interior cloth fabric with ScotchGuard when it is new. If you do it after removing stains, wait at least a few days for fabric to dry - then spray the ScothGuard.

Quick Reply: How do you clean the cloth seat's ?