Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

How do you get front license bracket off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:34 PM

How do you get front license bracket off?

I want to take the bracket off my SS but the screws look like you need some special tool to get them out. Also are they bolted on the back or just screwed in? Next question, if I mount the license plate in the lower grill where the intercooler is will it have a big effect on the cooling? I'd be putting it in the corner so it's not like the whole intercooler would be blocked.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 08redhhrss
I want to take the bracket off my SS but the screws look like you need some special tool to get them out. Also are they bolted on the back or just screwed in? Next question, if I mount the license plate in the lower grill where the intercooler is will it have a big effect on the cooling? I'd be putting it in the corner so it's not like the whole intercooler would be blocked.
Is it legal in your state to not have a plate on the front and I don't think that I would want to play with blocking the intercooler (GM would have a reason for denial for warranty issues if you had a problem. )
Old 09-20-2008, 07:32 PM

thanks, I did find out that they are riveted in, and I decided not to mess with it. It is illegal to not have a front plate in Ohio, I was going to relocate it but decided not to b/c of the intercooler.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:58 PM

Hi, Yes, they are riveted in. I installed mine myself. I'm in Ohio too. There were little dimples in the bumper to show where to drill, but I actually drilled mine a couple inches lower, and had the local mechanich with the right pop rivet tool snap the bracket on. He nagged me a bit about blocking air-flow, but the inch and a half I'm interfering with the IC seems to have zero effect.

This pic shows the result.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM

looks good, where did you get the overlay for the front bowtie, and do you have one on the back? I've been looking or the overlays, but all that i've found still show some gold around the edges.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 PM

Some wag on this board steered me to that bowtie. I think the guy was in WA somewhere. It was easy to find with Google anyway. But, alas, it does still show gold around the edges and I got a stinking bubble in it. Oh well, some other day. I have to say paint is the only way to go. If you want the SS paint red and mask the SS over it and paint black, or whatever. I wasn't happy enough with the decal to do the back, so I'm still looking. Some other threads around here recently showing a complete removal are intriguing. [sp?]

(hint, did my calipers today, red. film at 11)