Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Interior door panel dress up

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:08 PM

Interior door panel dress up

Well I went to the fabric store to get some vinyl to cover the visor stickers. I bought 1/2 yard of marine grade vinyl that was dark grey. it cost like 5 bucks..CHEAP. I had alot left over so this is what (and how) I did with it. I decided to dress up the interior door panels with some flames. I first measured the aproximate length i wanted and where..I went off the door handles. I laid out the vinyl and used a music CD to make the handle arc. The interior handles are a bit smaller than a cD but the cD worked out perfect as a stencil since you cant but the vinyl up to the edge of the handle because it needs a little clearance to open. I drew out the flames on a piece and cut it out with scissors. I then used that flame as a stencil for the rest..(flipping it over to do the passenger side doors *visa versa if yo ustart with the passenger side*)
Name:  cutflames.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  21.9 KB
Then..using clear packing tape..I laid a couiple of strips down side by side and placed the flame face down on the tape. I used clear so I could see what I was doing when mounting the flame.
Name:  tapemounted.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  23.7 KB
then using Dap Kwik seal plus (Kitchen and bath adhesive caulk) I dabbed it on the reverse of the flame. I used this caulk for these reasons:
1. It makes a great bond (better in my opinion than 3M spray adhesive)
2. It goes on white but dries clear so you can see when applying it what needs to be covered.
3. its made for bath and kitchen so it is waterproof and resist mold and mildew..so you can clean your panels and if it catches any moisture it wont stink or mold.
Name:  applycaulk.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  25.8 KB
Make sure you dab it on even and thoroughly..dont worry about getting some on the tape..the thickness of the vinyl prevents much getting on your door panel and its easily wiped off after application anyway.
Name:  applycaulk1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  28.4 KB
Heres a shot after mounting before I removed the clear packing tape:
Name:  placeoncar.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  22.2 KB
without tape and drying.
Name:  1door.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  20.7 KB
some shots of the doors done.
Name:  pasidedrs.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  19.5 KB
Name:  drsidedoors.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  23.1 KB
i think they compliment the visors:
Name:  visors.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  17.7 KB

So for under 10 bucks( vinyl: $5.50..Caulk about 3 bucks) and some time (about an hour and a half)I dressed up the interior a little bit.

Some people will like it ...some wont. I think it looks cool and wanted to post a cheap way to snaz up the interior. You dont have to go with flames..I just like flames...LOL Hope you enjoyed the look see
Old 02-23-2006, 07:10 PM

Oh yeah..heres what you will need for the job (minus the vinyl and tape & ruler or some kind of measurer )
Old 02-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

Well, I'm a sucker for flames so I like it a lot. I might try something similar now. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 PM

great idea, and thanks to your how to seems simple and makes the interior door panels look great
Old 02-23-2006, 07:27 PM

that was outstanding my friend. thank you for the great artical. it looks great too!
we need more of these How to deals. ?, what is in the spray can?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM

The spray can is goof off..it takes off mess ups like if you got some on the door panel let the caulk harden..I didnt need it because what little caulk I got on the panel was easily wiped off..just took the pic before i applied them..but didnt use the "goof off" Thanks for the compliment..it was easy to do and I liked the results.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:33 PM

WOW, looks great. I was thinking of doing leather flames like that when I re-do my interior one day
Old 02-24-2006, 02:00 PM

looks good.You could even do 2 colors and have them offset or just cut slightly different.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 PM

Tell me about your hood ports. Are they functional? Where did you get them?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Tell me about your hood ports. Are they functional? Where did you get them?
They are probably these:
Name:  rectangular-hood-portholes.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  41.5 KB
The company that makes them is Roman Chariot. Here is one of the places you can get them but you can find others by googling. http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_h...s-P9805C0.aspx

Quick Reply: Interior door panel dress up