Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Looking for a Car Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 07:29 AM

Looking for a Car Hitch

http://www.hitchesonline.com/chevy_cl1_hhr_06.htm
Old 10-27-2005, 07:59 AM

I would want to see one installed before I bought it. Anyone have a pic of it installed?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:05 AM

I'm glad I don't need a hitch.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 PM

Well the HHR can support up too 1000lbs.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:27 PM

Wink

I put a curt recieving hitch on my hhr today. Hitch looks cool(no pics yet).Not to hard ,but drilling holes(4) isn't fun lying on your back.Te only real hassel is wiring it.Chevy didn't put in a rady made harness for this so you buy a after market one. NOTE 5 wire to 4 wire plug in. You have to tap in to side panels acess to reach appropiate wires .Like I said,a small hassel.But it works and looks great --BUT DO NOT tow any trailer over 1000lbs as stated in owners book and only with auto trans.

Last edited by hhr rules; 11-04-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 AM

hhr rules: now that you've had two years' experience with the curt brand hitch, do you have any observations/complaints about it? Hitting speed bumps, scraping while towing?

thanks.

Norm
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 AM

Towing limits?

Originally Posted by hhr rules
I put a curt recieving hitch on my hhr today. Hitch looks cool(no pics yet).Not to hard ,but drilling holes(4) isn't fun lying on your back.Te only real hassel is wiring it.Chevy didn't put in a rady made harness for this so you buy a after market one. NOTE 5 wire to 4 wire plug in. You have to tap in to side panels acess to reach appropiate wires .Like I said,a small hassel.But it works and looks great --BUT DO NOT tow any trailer over 1000lbs as stated in owners book and only with auto trans.
Does anyone know what on the HHR causes the towing limitation to be 1000 lbs? On the SSR the 2500 lb limit is caused by cooling limitations. (The radiator is very small. But with a larger radiator and better cooling fans and tougher hitch the thing can now pull much more) Sooo I am hoping that there are ways to beef up the HHR just a bit for towing.
Anyone have this information? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sidekick
Does anyone know what on the HHR causes the towing limitation to be 1000 lbs? On the SSR the 2500 lb limit is caused by cooling limitations. (The radiator is very small. But with a larger radiator and better cooling fans and tougher hitch the thing can now pull much more) Sooo I am hoping that there are ways to beef up the HHR just a bit for towing.
Anyone have this information? Thanks!
Its basically because the HHR and the SSR are two completely different vehicles with only some similar styling queues. The SSR is a rear drive V8 powered truck. The HHR is a restyled Cobalt 4 cylinder front wheel drive car. Doubt the tow rating can be increased much on the HHR even with a larger radiator and oil cooler. The PT Cruiser has the same tow rating as the HHR. Interestingly the Honda Element and Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe have 1500lb ratings. But here is an interesting quote from someone on another website:

As far as towing capacity goes, GM under-rates their North American cars by a bit. Another Delta platform car, the Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra Wagon with a 1.8L, has a tow rating of 1,400lbs. (630kg.) for trailers without brakes and 2,700lbs. (1250kg.) for trailers with brakes. After all, GM NA does have trucks to sell, why tell anyone their cars can tow?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 20vtguy
Its basically because the HHR and the SSR are two completely different vehicles with only some similar styling queues. The SSR is a rear drive V8 powered truck. The HHR is a restyled Cobalt 4 cylinder front wheel drive car. Doubt the tow rating can be increased much on the HHR even with a larger radiator and oil cooler.
Again, I know that they are two completely different vehicles. I am trying to discover what is limiting the HHR to a 1000 lb max towing capacity. I am sure that it is not the cooling capacity of the HHR, I just used that example on the SSR. I still would like to find out what limits the HHR.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 AM

Does anyone know what on the HHR causes the towing limitation to be 1000 lbs?
You mean besides it being a front wheel drive four cylinder based on a small passenger car architecture?

On the SSR the 2500 lb limit is caused by cooling limitations. (The radiator is very small. But with a larger radiator and better cooling fans and tougher hitch the thing can now pull much more) Sooo I am hoping that there are ways to beef up the HHR just a bit for towing.
The SSR is RWD, based upon the Trailblazer's hydroformed frame architecture, and has a lot more grunt than the HHR. You really can not compare the two in any way.

We do have a hidden hitch installed on ours to drag around a small rental sign trailer. It's so far under that it's barely visible with the hitch extension removed (I suspect you would only notice it if looking for it). I'll try and get pics this weekend.

*EDIT*

Again, I know that they are two completely different vehicles. I am trying to discover what is limiting the HHR to a 1000 lb max towing capacity. I am sure that it is not the cooling capacity of the HHR, I just used that example on the SSR. I still would like to find out what limits the HHR.
It's a front wheel drive four cylinder based on a small passenger car's architecture.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Car Hitch