Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Mitzi Got Lit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Mitzi Got Lit!

Sorry, couldn't resist that thread title... but Mitzi really only just received her box of lighting, so no pics yet. Hubby got my Christmas gift early - and of course he'll be installing it for me. My surfer girl will have a neon split personality at night, whenever she feels like being showy...underbody lighting. I hear you can't run with it, but I bet we can have some fun with it anyhow. I gotta stay legal, y'know.

Here's a preview --- someone else's car, of course...

I would love to hear advice and installation tips from others who have done this underbody lighting.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:50 PM

Unhappy

I had some on my HHR, but I took them off because could see the tubes after installation. The supports for the running boards don't allow them to tuck up under enough
Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JT's HHR
I had some on my HHR, but I took them off because could see the tubes after installation. The supports for the running boards don't allow them to tuck up under enough
try mounting the tube behind the welded body flange (seen in this pic):

OOOPS! Sorry, - wrong pic! Try this one:

...mounting behind that flange (above pipe), should keep them out of view.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 AM

That's where mine are installed and you cannot see the tubes from any distance! I can snap a few pics and post 'em tomorrow. Its raining right now and I don't have THAT kind of commitment to this..
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Good thing Hubby reads this forum too --- what's a flange??
And what the heck is Dodge.com doing advertising at the bottom on my post?? There are a whole bunch of links showing I never noticed --- 1 HHR (a Yahoo ad) and 2 for underbody lighting -- are those people sponsored?

SoCalHHR --- my apologies, I gave the link to that underbody lighting company to hubby a month ago, before I knew you existed. You are sweet to put that pic in for me, even with the shameless PLUG!

I really value the support and friendship I am finding here -- I HAUNT this place lately. Thanks Y'all!!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by mitzkity
what's a flange??
From dictionary.com.....

a projecting rim, collar, or ring on a shaft, pipe, machine housing, etc., cast or formed to give additional strength, stiffness, or supporting area, or to provide a place for the attachment of other objects.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:16 PM

Ok here are pics...not great but you get the idea...

Side Tube behind the rail Mike described....

Rear tube above the rear bumper... we ran out of screws and started using zip ties until Sunday...

Front tube.. red wire is now tucked and loomed into the front bumper

obligatory night shot... These are LED bars and not neon as you can tell!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Neon kits are illegal in most states now, but LED kits are legal. Make sure you check before installing. Neon is a safety hazard in crashes as the reason it seems. And of course, red or blue is illegal in most states as well. Better to be safe than sorry, so check it out first. Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:49 PM

YES YES YES! They are LEDs - 2 long bars and 2 shorter ones. My kit is programmable and will do several million colors in patterns, all with the included remotes. OH NO, I'm NOT EXCITED!!!

Will DH need ramps to put the car up to work on it, or can a person fit without them? We are arguing about it --- MEN are so STUBBORN!@!#%

What do I care which colors are legal -- LOL - I'm safe if I only have them on when the car is stopped, right?? AND, when I'm feeling lucky... short term on the road... The guys with hydraulics flash'em at stop lights, so now I'll have something to flash back at'em.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:16 PM

Having the car on ramps or jack stands will make the job easier. a LOT easier!

As far as AZ goes... I can have them on when PARKED inside the city as long as I am not on the highway. Red and Blue are NO NO colors no matter what! If I were to use green, yellow, white... anything else the AZ Hwy Patrol doesn't care. They say it makes the car stand out and makes it easier to see at night. (useful info) Mine are blue obviously so I can only run them when sitting on private property or when I wanna take a roll of the dice.