Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Moving the front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Moving the front license plate?

Ontario insists(as do many other provinces and states) that we have a front license plate, and it just looks horrible on the HHR! The more I look at it, the more I want to rip it right out!

Has anyone come up with a better place to mount it, than dead center on the bumper? I'm thinking it would look better if we moved it into the lower rad opening, down, and further back into it, or even onto the lower "spoiler" thing, and perhaps mounting it off-center.

Anyone done it? Photos? ideas? Tips?

There just has to be a better place for it....
Old 03-25-2007, 06:50 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by number47
I agree, it should be off center. Makes me really glad that it's not required in Florida!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM

If you put it in the lower grill opening, you risk shutting off the air flow to your a/c condensor.
Be Careful!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by number47

Yes up the a$$ of those officials that put those laws out there

Glad I dont have to have one
Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM

Name:  S4021032.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  53.1 KB

This is a recent picture added to the orange gallery showing a plate off to the side...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by sjssk

This is a recent picture added to the orange gallery showing a plate off to the side...
well thanx for saving me some time. i was going to post that too. fyi thats my car. my tony the tiger. i removed it though because i put a lower billet grille and the mount wouldnt fit so i had to put it in my windsheld. you can see it in my sig. i bought if off ebay for like 10 bucks. look for JDM license plate mounts. there is also another one that drills into the bumper itself. the one in the picture, i had to mount it on the radiator clamp.

Last edited by SindyDix; 03-26-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: removed photo from quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 PM

I agree. It was one of the first mods I did.

I was lucky-my front license plate holder was only screwed in place-no pop rivits to drill out. But I prefered mine lower-I used a bracket I bought at Auto Barn, rebent it then drilled new holes in it. Then, I drilled 2 1/4 inch holes under the bumper through the metal part and attached the bracket with stainless steel bolts and nylon bushing nuts (to prevent loosening). Next, I used another plate that is used for custom mounting plates in various positions (to make the installation more rigid) then attached the license to it. It is very sturdy and secure. To fill in the original holes, I found body panal rivits and painted the top ones to match the car.

There was a thread about this back in Feb 2006. Here is a link
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/front-plate-mount-929/
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Nice job great idea i now have a new mod to work on.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:33 AM

I have done this on my last 2 cars-it began when someone backed into the front bumper and the plate fell off. That same day, before I had a chance to fix it, I put the plate on my dashboard, but got a ticket anyway. It is one of those subtle mods that you would not even notice unless you are familiar with the stock plate mount on the HHR. But once you see it in person, you realize how much better it looks. Instead of being the focal point of the front of the car, it is more discreet. And it does not affect the cooling, something I was initially concerned about.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Just a reminder, in states the require a front plate, putting in the window will NOT keep you from getting a ticket.

I've tried. I hate the front plate and even thought Missouri requires one, I run without it. (fingers crossed) No problems yet; I do keep in in between the passenger seat and the counsel just in case. I know If an officer wants to give me a ticket, it won't keep them from giving me one!

Quick Reply: Moving the front license plate?