Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Removal of Decal Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:16 AM
FXM

Question Removal of Decal Help!

I have two "Chevrolet" decals on the sides of my HHR. They look fine, however, I would much rather have (2) vintage Chevrolet Chrome emblems instead. Question is: How do I remove the decals? I do not want to damage the paint. What about the residue?

Thanks!
F.X.
Doog SI Efil
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 AM

Search is your friend. Type in Badge remove and see what you come up with

Here is one
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=badge+remove
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Founding Member

Goo Off and or WD-40 seem to work well with no ill effects.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 AM

hairdryer, and fingernail.

any remaining goop, i prefer goo gone. or 3M adhesive remover
Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

You're not going to damage your paint unless you try gouging them off with a screwdriver or something. Stick your nail under one of the edges and peel them off. If your having a problem pulling them off like they keep ripping into little pieces while you pull you can heat them up with a heat gun or blow dryer to make it easier. If you decide to use a heat gun don't keep it in one place for too long or you'll bubble your paint. To clean up any residue use Isopropyl alcohol.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 AM

FXM, Depending on the decals, are they vinyl or metal? It's best to wait for a hot day once the surface heats up, then apply a small amount of preasure to lift them. If need be you can use a hair dryer on low heat fanning across the surface of the decal to heat it slightly and then slowly remove it. To clean the left over residue just use a small amount of bug and tar remover or even an alcohol wipe. Most important be patient, and don't use anything metal to try and lift them. Your finger tips and or finger nails should be more then enough.

Thanks, Curtis
Old 05-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
You're not going to damage your paint unless you try gouging them off with a screwdriver or something. Stick your nail under one of the edges and peel them off. If your having a problem pulling them off like they keep ripping into little pieces while you pull you can heat them up with a heat gun or blow dryer to make it easier. If you decide to use a heat gun don't keep it in one place for too long or you'll bubble your paint. To clean up any residue use Isopropyl alcohol.
I agree with the Captain. A friend does striping and such. He usually is able to carefully peel them off, then always cleans with alcohol. If you aren't replacing with anything, don't forget to wax, as the alcohol takes it off. If you need heat, use a hairdryer. Even the real experienced folks have had problems with certain heat guns.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 AM
FXM

Thanks Curtis....I appreciate it!
FXM
Old 05-28-2007, 11:01 AM

FXM, your very welcome!

Curtis
Old 05-28-2007, 07:50 PM
FXM

Just a "HHR Thankyou" to all who gave me some great tips on removing two decals from my HHR. Both peeled off very smoothly..residue was removed with some alcohol. Looks like they were never even on there!
WOOHOOO!
Doog Si Efil
FXM

Quick Reply: Removal of Decal Help!