Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Rim Opinions...please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Uma

Originally Posted by PerezHHR
We just got my 18's for $850.00, put on of course, he got us a great package, locks, lugs, satin stems *to match the rest of my car* couldn't beat it, plus it was the exact LOOK I wanted... it pays to have a hubby who has friends all over the place...

Very Nice!! Saw you at Dejavous last year! The rims make it all come together. I was the one asking about about the spray tint, finally got it thanks to another member, Thank you very much for the idea, Really hope to see you soon. Todd (Uma)
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
The problem I had with my screw-on discs is that they kept cracking. After two sets cracked, I decided to go another direction.
I've heard similar complaints about moon discs breaking or the screw holes tearing out over time. Steel wheels flex a little under load, but the thin aluminum or stainless discs don't cope with it well and tend to fail.

Moon also makes a 16" disc that attaches with Dzus fasteners to tabs you weld on to the steel wheels:

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Store/pr...16d95dfeadfb3f
I wonder if the slight "give" in the Dzus fastener would allow for a little deflection in the wheel without ripping up the disc? They're also a lot easier to remove to add air or unbolt a wheel when needed. And Dzus fasteners are just friggin' cool!

This is probably the direction I will go. I like the ease of the snap-on covers from hubcapmike.com, but I really prefer the traditional brushed aluminum look, not the chrome dome. I was going to buy some screw-on discs, but the stories of failures don't fill me with joy (after all, they are basically a racing product that we are trying to use on daily driven street cars... no wonder they fail).

Anybody want to offer some opinions on the potential increased durability of the Dzus fastener style discs?