Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Running Boards, paint problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Running Boards, paint problems!!

When I purchased my HHR, I didnt know much about them. I bought a 1LT 2.2l 5speed...it did not come with running boards. After about 8 months, I noticed the back door, where the fenders stick out....were completely destroyed.. The paint was chipped, had a white color to it....and it just looked like crap...The clear coat was totally gone...and every little thing that would kick up from the front tire would come back and hit the door where the fender sticks out.... it was horrible.... Well, I did some research and found out that the HHR w/o the running boards will have that happen!! The running boards being there would catch anything from the front tire and keep it from hitting the back door where the fender sticks out.

I went to my dealer and explained my frustrations....they agreed to pay to repaint my car on both sides under warranty...but only if i purchased the running boards... Fortunately the running boards were able to be ordered already painted... but they were $430....

So if any of you have a HHR w/o running boards...go talk to your dealer before its too late...and for extra precautions...get the molded splash guards too.

Im sorry if this is a subject that has been covered already...for i am new to the forum!!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Yeah, it was discussed before in great detail. Chevy was aware of the problem and more or less took the cheapest way out without fixing the problem. The good news is that several dealers stepped up to the plate (mine included) and helped the customers quite a bit. Others............well, I guess they don't worry about reputation and good product support. Having the boards is the key.....glad you got yours!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...paint+chipping
Old 01-23-2007, 07:01 PM

what did your dealer do for you??? i want to find out how nice my dealer really is!!! i guess they figured shes a woman we can rip her off!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 PM

It looks like you got what they are doing for all. Buy the boards and they paint, ONE time. I believe there was a TSB about this.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM

im sure got i got the running boards...it looks so much nicer!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Been there...not so lucky

Take the deal and then go and shake the managers hand for caring