Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

"Shaved" Door handles. What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:06 AM

"Shaved" Door handles. What are they?

I've been to a lot of car shows and no doubt many of the customs had them, but what are they? Nothing concrete comes to mind, but i see the term bandied about here, so I thought I'd ask.
I have seen an HHR pic of a car with no door handles that I could see and someone was saying they were shaved. Missing was more like it.
Shaved sound like they would be smaller, more hidden, or something.

Also I have read that the HHR has such thin metal that welding needed for this shaving is difficult. So what is the point besides vanity? What exactly do shaved door handles look like, and what does one gain in the process?
Just thinking out loud here at 2:03 in the morning...............
Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 AM

Ok... when you shave your face you remove the hair to below or just to the surface of the skin. Making a smooth surface. shaving the door handles is just that. Making the surface smooth. Mostly cosmetic but some might argue the VERY MINOR aerodynamic effects of less drags on something as minimal as a door handle. As far as I am concerned it is a cosmetic thing to make the body look smooth. Nothing more.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:12 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
Ok... when you shave your face you remove the hair to below or just to the surface of the skin. Making a smooth surface. shaving the door handles is just that. Making the surface smooth. Mostly cosmetic but some might argue the VERY MINOR aerodynamic effects of less drags on something as minimal as a door handle. As far as I am concerned it is a cosmetic thing to make the body look smooth. Nothing more.
Very good analogy.
And unless your going to put your ride on the track against Dale or Mario, it's strictly a cosmetic mod.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Also I have read that the HHR has such thin metal that welding needed for this shaving is difficult.
I think that is complete BS from someone that has never shaved a set of doorhandles nor do they have shaved door handles on their HHR.

So what is the point besides vanity?
None really.

What exactly do shaved door handles look like, and what does one gain in the process?
Like this:

You gain coolness and the ability to pop your doors with a key fob.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:04 AM

Thanks folks! Now I understand. Simply smoothing them out and making them flush with the door.

CH, that picture shows NO door handles I guess thats a real close shave None hidden there, as you say, it's key fob time
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Banned

No handles is shaving the doors. They cut out the entire section where the handle is, weld a piece of sheet metal back in it's place, then smooth and paint it.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 AM

Oh, then flush is not shaved. Missing is shaved?
Seems like "Shaved" is kinda misleading, as they don't grow back
I can't think of a better word, so shaved it is! Besides, who am I to rethink tradition
I wonder how they opened before remote key fobs? Leave yer window open I guess.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:39 AM

Captain,
I don't think that's your HHR, is it? If not, who does it belong to, and who did it? It looks really good.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Banned

Nah it's not my HHR, I personally could never drive a purple car. The HHR in the pic belongs to JT's HHR.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:05 AM

The body work and paint is being done by California Crusiers in San Bernardino, Ca. Its going to really look sharp when its completed. The best is yet to come.

See ya down the road

Bud / Harvey

Quick Reply: "Shaved" Door handles. What are they?