Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Splash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:41 AM

Why not install some clear 3M protective film where the splash guards meet the paint, that's what I plan on doing once I get some splash guards.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by captain howdy
BTW the last part of your statement is an opinion. IMO they work great and are worth the cost because they are the best looking ones out there.
you are right, in my opinion they arent the best looking and they arent low enough to work as good as the chevy truck guards. These are more solid, will never scratch a side and to me look alot nicer.

the way those are built to wrap around the sides, sooner or later they will be a problem unless you do something to correct it. the 3M film sounds like a good fix.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
Why not install some clear 3M protective film where the splash guards meet the paint, that's what I plan on doing once I get some splash guards.
Can you explain what you mean by this? SHould I just put it underneath the whole splash guard or just where it wraps?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by James06
Can you explain what you mean by this? SHould I just put it underneath the whole splash guard or just where it wraps?

James, you're asking alot for me to explain something. This is what I plan on doing.

1. Hold splash guard in place and mark ( with pencil ) the edge of the splash guard where it meets the painted area of the car.

2. Make a template out of paper first ( add about an 1/8"th to the template ), then place template over 3M film and mark.

3. Cut 3M film, clean painted area and install 3M film.

That's about the best I can do. BTW, Im also thinking about using double sided tape ( the kind used for automotive use ) instead of the 3M film.

If you want to PM a phone number we can talk it over...anytime after 7:00 P.M for me is free mintues.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
BTW, Im also thinking about using double sided tape ( the kind used for automotive use ) instead of the 3M film.
I got my splash guards in today. I'm intrigued by this comment by Dark Age about double sided tape. I am probably going to give this a try when I put on the splash guards. I don't know if I'll get to it this weekend, were having a Spaghetti Supper & Auction at church tomorrow evening for Speed The Light. If you want a new Kubota Lawn Tractor, we had one donated (a $5,000 tractor, and we get to keep all over $2,000 for STL. We also have a used car from the local Honda dealership, I don't know what kind yet. If anyone is interested in coming out. PM me and I'll give you directions, etc. Sindy and Deb, it would just be a short trip for you guys (almost cross-country, but I bet in an HHR, it wouldn't be too bad. ).
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by James06
Sindy and Deb, it would just be a short trip for you guys (almost cross-country, but I bet in an HHR, it wouldn't be too bad. ).
You're a funny guy. Hey Sindy...think we can be there in time for dinner?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
You're a funny guy. Hey Sindy...think we can be there in time for dinner?
Y'all sure you don't want to come down? We don't have any HHR stuff in the auction (unless you count 2 sets of Kenwood speakers), but i still think it would be a fun drive. I'd come out there, but my wife won't let me , she can't get out of work long enough to come; they just started back to school & she's a teacher.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:19 PM

How come no invite for me ...that's o.k, gotta Dago get together tomorrow anyways.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:06 PM

These are what I bought and had installed on my baby http://www.chevroletpartspeople.com/...t+w%2F+Contour

Genuine GM, although not specific to the HHR. Dealer installed while in the body shop. They had to cut them to fit, but no scratches. They are nice and tight. Like a .......ummmmm.....................new swim trunks
Old 08-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Founding Member

James06,
Here is another option for splash gaurds. Here is a how-to on making your own!

HHR Splash Guards that protect

Quick Reply: Splash Guards