Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Trimming or Rolling the Fenders???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 AM

What size rims are you getting and what is the offset of the wheels. On some 20" wheels that are 7.5" wide you might not have to roll your fenders. I have 20 x 8.5" wheels with a 34mm offset and 235/35/20 they WILL Rub in the rear. I had my fenders rolled at my rim shop they used a bat, towel, and four guys to sit in my backseat and hatch area. My fenders were rolled and it dented my fender I had to get paint less dent repair done on my car to repair this. Then I lowered my car in the rear 1.6" and when I hit a nice bump with the car loaded with adults in the rear it hits right up next to the door. I am running some after market shock and have not had this problem since. I will be getting new tires soon and I will get the fenders trimmed near the door so I will not have any more problems.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by quest51210
this is not needed for 20's with no drop. there is a custom shop across the street from me that outs lambo doors and 20's on the HHR for a dealership and they have no rubbing issues. i need to get pics of it, but i hate the lambo doors on it and it is SOM just like mine.
Ditto...This only applies if you lower your HHR. If it's not lowered you don't have to worry about it. But, IMO, if you got anything bigger than 18's it won't look right without at least a leveling kit, just my two cents. I've seen some chewed up tires during my time and I would roll fenders on any lowered vehicle with aftermarket wheels just to be on the safe side

Ng
Old 07-29-2007, 01:52 PM

Chingchonger, you said you might stop by the Lakewood thing on the 19th; you could really get details from HNE then - are you coming NG? OMG I want to see these cars again --- never had any idea you guys had 20's.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by chingchonger
Going to get my 20's in a couple of weeks. I need to either trim or roll the rear fenders. I'll be doing this myself. I'm handy with tools.

Anyone have any experience with either one? Care to share?
I only had 18"s on my HHR, I rolled the rear fenders... use the rolling tool..

did no cutting... if you cut.. you must treat the metal to prevent rusting
Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by hnewagn
What size rims are you getting and what is the offset of the wheels. On some 20" wheels that are 7.5" wide you might not have to roll your fenders. I have 20 x 8.5" wheels with a 34mm offset and 235/35/20 they WILL Rub in the rear. I had my fenders rolled at my rim shop they used a bat, towel, and four guys to sit in my backseat and hatch area. My fenders were rolled and it dented my fender I had to get paint less dent repair done on my car to repair this. Then I lowered my car in the rear 1.6" and when I hit a nice bump with the car loaded with adults in the rear it hits right up next to the door. I am running some after market shock and have not had this problem since. I will be getting new tires soon and I will get the fenders trimmed near the door so I will not have any more problems.
I'll be putting on American Racing Rogue 20" x 8" +35 offset with 245/30/20 tires. They will rub.

I met LarryV from this board yesterday. He drove all the way from Fresno to buy a 2007 TrailBlazer SS from me. Awesome guy. Anyways, he checked out the rear fender on my car and discovered something that was not on the 2006 HHR he had worked on.

see https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/lowering-my-06-hhr-7164/

It appears that my fender is already rolled from the factory. You can see the difference from the photo he took compared to the photo below.

I also reconfirmed this by looking at an 06 we had at the dealership. 06 fender had 30mm of fender lip. So new for 07, rolled rear fenders! That probably explains why some people have rubbing issues and some don't.

I took the measurement of the 07 lip and it looks like it goes in just over 1/2" before it rolls up. Larry said he had to trim the fender lip down to 1/4" before the 20"x8.5" offset + 37 245/30/30 could fit without rubbing so maybe with just a little bit of rolling is all I need.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:49 PM

Stone guards

Does anyone make stone guards for the HHR, I'm needing to protect the spot on the rear quarter that has taken a hit from debris on the highway. It's the part that is covered with a clear shield the factory installs in front of the wheel well.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by lordairgtar
Does anyone make stone guards for the HHR, I'm needing to protect the spot on the rear quarter that has taken a hit from debris on the highway. It's the part that is covered with a clear shield the factory installs in front of the wheel well.

How does "stone guards" relate to rolling fenders?? Maybe you should start a thread in the classifieds.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 AM

With my new discovery of the pre-rolled fender. I decided to just roll the fender some more. I taped up the handle of a breaker bar and pried between the fender and tire until I got the following results.

Name:  rollbeforeandafter.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  10.6 KB

Here's a pic of inside the fender.
Name:  CIMG0559s.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  39.4 KB

Here's a pic from a view down under. I outlined the fender in white so you can see it better.

Hopefully this is enough to clear the 245/30/20R tires on 20" x 8.5" +35 offset wheels.

If not I'll attempt this:
Name:  superroll.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  5.7 KB
Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 AM

First of all GREAT pictures The way the rear suspension is mounted in front of the rear wheels when the suspension moves up the wheels go up and forward just a little and even with rolled fenders up were the back of the rear door closes its not rolled on my car. I will have it trimmed and treated because that is were it hits on my car.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jx3

How does "stone guards" relate to rolling fenders?? Maybe you should start a thread in the classifieds.
EXCUSE me for asking for some help. If this is the way I get treated here, I'm gone. I just mistakenly posted it here, I thought I started a new post. Goodbye.

Quick Reply: Trimming or Rolling the Fenders???