Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

2009-2011 radio into a 2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 10:38 AM

2009-2011 radio into a 2007

Specifically asking about a factory radio with SiriusXM and Bluetooth to swap into my 2007 which DOES NOT have bluetooth. It does have Onstar but (obviously) it is non functional.

I am wondering if it's as simple as swapping in the radio and heading to a dealer to have the programming/unlocking done.

If this is possible would I have to get the steering wheel control pad as well? I have the radio control pad on my 2007 but the buttons don't have the additional phone icons on them.

I have sourced a REALLY inexpensive radio from a 2011 so was wondering...
Old 11-11-2023, 10:51 AM
Administrator

This did not work in my 2007 LS , I replaced the OEM head unit with a 2010 head unit and had that one matched to my VIN , no joy in Mudville.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:57 AM

BT and Sirius/XM are not in the radio head unit; they are separate modules in the rear quarter panel. The BT is part of the OnStar module in later models, it does not have to be activated to work. Your 2007 HU already supports both

If you want BT in the radio you will need an OnStar module with it or a BT dongle. The OnStar BT is phone ONLY profile.

In short; if you want BT and Sirius/XM the easiest way is to get an after market radio and the GMLan adapter
Old 11-11-2023, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
BT and Sirius/XM are not in the radio head unit; they are separate modules in the rear quarter panel. The BT is part of the OnStar module in later models, it does not have to be activated to work. Your 2007 HU already supports both

If you want BT in the radio you will need an OnStar module with it or a BT dongle. The OnStar BT is phone ONLY profile.

In short; if you want BT and Sirius/XM the easiest way is to get an after market radio and the GMLan adapter
I don't care about music, only the ability to make a phone call.

So if I am understanding this correctly, I can snag a module (2009+) off Ebay (or elsewhere) and just swap it in after I remove the factory original?

OLDBlue: Bummer about that not working for you. Thanks for confirming the HU swap is a no go...

Last edited by Riktar; 11-11-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 11-11-2023, 11:31 AM

A OnStar module that HAS BT would work, not all have it. I don't think it was offered in 2009, don't know for sure.
Somebody did that a few years ago. Might try search tool, he might have done a how-to, check there.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:57 AM

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2023, 06:03 PM

On its way

Just pulled the trigger on a onstar module that does have the bluetooth module.

will report back when it gets here...

Old 11-11-2023, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
A OnStar module that HAS BT would work, not all have it. I don't think it was offered in 2009, don't know for sure.
Somebody did that a few years ago. Might try search tool, he might have done a how-to, check there.
I can verify that 08 does NOT have BT, my 08 Panel has every available option and NO BT for phone or otherwise. I can also verify that an '11 radio will not work in an 08, and it's nearly impossible to find a dealer that even wants to bother with it. Oh, and the dealers that will, also will charge you whether it works or not.
/rant over
Old 11-12-2023, 05:55 AM

If I am understanding what has been posted by donbrew and Oldblue it's not about the radio, it's whether the Onstar module has the bluetooth option.

From the few (and I mean darn few) bits of information I have come across on the internet It also matters about the year and the part number of the Onstar module.

It could be just a matter of swapping out the existing Onstar module in my HHR and transplanting the 'new' unit into the car. The Onstar light will go from green to red due to a mismatch on the vin number between my car and the donor module but it will work.

Or it may be that I will have to seek the service of a dealer (Or some mad electrical genius with "tools") to reflash the Onstar module with my vin.

I will know when the part comes next week.

In any event this little experiment does't involve much money. It's just my time.

And I have WAAAY more time than money...

I will report back as things develop.

Last edited by Riktar; 11-12-2023 at 07:35 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-12-2023, 11:04 AM

Unfortunately the computer systems were retired at about the same time HHR was. Dealer mechanics have never heard of a Tech2 scanner, not to mention they don't know how to use their new system (that can do everything a Tech2 could do). Dealer mechanics are just as afraid of computers as all the other "certified" techs are. "Certified" means they paid for a frame to put a piece of paper in.

This guy did it. See post #13.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...a-63771/page2/

Quick Reply: 2009-2011 radio into a 2007