Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

2011 non Premier Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:04 AM

2011 non Premier Stereo

I am looking for advice on my 2011 HHR, it does not have a subwoofer nor can I see the factory amp? I am not saying it is not there (amp) but I can't see it, I have the perforated circle in the back on drivers side and I looked in that hole and I did not see anything, I would like to hook up an amp and new Pioneer stereo with the Bluetooth,Sirius ready/ IPod IPhone ready, I have used the
"Search"on this website and I can not find the answers I am looking for
1) will putting the New Pioneer be a problem with my alarms for the lights and keys?
2) would it be easier to put this unit in and not remove the factory one?
3) what other things should I worry or be concerned about?

Thank you in advance for any help that I might get.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:19 AM
Banned

You will just need to get the correct harness for your new stereo to be able to cooperate.

I don't think having 2 units in one area would solve much.

If you intend to use the stock Sub location, it's a shallow mount.

My suggestion, get a standard amp, and a couple of 10s or 12s and make a sub box and mount it right behind the back seat butted up against it.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:19 PM
Technical Moderator

1) Does your HU have "Pioneer" on the front plate? If not, no subwoof/amp.
2) is the car a 2LT? If not doubtful you have a subwoof/amp.
3) It is possible to install anything you want. Money, time and space are the limits. But, if you don't know how to figure out if you have an amp/subwoofer you probably should enlist the aid of a professional radio shop.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:26 PM

If you do not use a stock Chevy stereo and want to have the chimes and turn signal noise you will have to buy a device that replicates these for you, all those sounds come from your stock stereo.

For a while I jammed an old Clarion single cd player in my HHR. I was happy enough with it but my wife really wanted the chimes back. I looked into the chime replacing gizmos and thought about it a while then stuffed the original stereo back in the dash.

In the mean while I found out the my whole problem was the stock speakers had stopped working. I don't know why they were working with the Clarion and wouldn't with the stock radio so I replaced all the speakers too.

I have thought a lot about putting a sub woofer in the hole for the stock one but seriously do not need it with the speakers I have in the doors now.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 PM

Smile I have a stock Chevy

The radio has no markings that it is a Pioneer...so from I read I can just put a new system and not have to worry about. Home and the other things I have read about?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 AM

I'm not real sure I'm getting through to you,...

The chimes you hear when you put the key in the ignition with the door open come from the stock Chevy stereo. So do the other audible warning sounds you hear, like when you use the turn signals with the engine running, there are other chimes that go off when things happen like when you get low on fuel or over heat and things.

All these sounds come from the stock Chevrolet stereo. If you install an aftermarket stereo those sounds will no longer be generated. They will cease to exist unless you purchase an additional device to generate them.

Something like this

Metra LC-GMRC-LAN-03 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain factory door chimes and audible safety warnings in select 2006-12 GM vehicles at Crutchfield.com

The clarion stereo I had in my HHR was pretty cutting edge back when I bought it in 1998 but it was at least 10 years old when my HHR was built and it does not generate the audible tones used in more modern vehicles.

It rocked my buggy nicely but the wife wanted the chimes back after all how would she ever know she needed to buy more gas if she did not hear the chime?

The root problem with my stereo was the speakers had failed. That's the reason I came to this site in the first place all those years ago, Your welcome to search the site and see for yourself if you would like.