Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

750 Watt Inverter

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:00 PM

750 Watt Inverter

I am looking to install a 750 watt power inverter but cant find one that will plug into the cig lighter. Is this because the outlet will not support the draw?

I have to have enough to run 2 laptop computers, an external hard drive and a mini redbull refrigerator. Will I have to hard wire this into the battery?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:57 PM

Yes, the cig lighter circuit will not be able to handle that much power transfer. Typically, with this much current, you will need to hard wire to battery.

Most typical fused circuits in your car is limited to 20A. There may be a few circuits with capability of 30A in your car, but is limited as it requires thicker gauge wire, bigger connection components, etc, which often lead to higher priced vehicles.

For the most part, you should pay attention to the amount of current required from the source, instead of the output power. Typically, your input power requirement will always be more that the output power due to losses in dc to ac transfer, heat and efficiency, etc.

Your inverter should have a spec on the input current requirement at 12V dc. Then you can determine how the best way to connect to your vehicle. (example, if your inverter required 800 watts at 12 Vdc, you would need a circuit that can handle over 66 amps of current. You would need a wire the size of the battery cable...)

Hope this helps...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:02 PM

Thanks, the one I found at walmart came with cables that looked like jumper cables, I am pretty sure I would just set those asside and use battery cables. I just wanted to make sure that was the route to go before doing this. The I have been running 2 350 watt ones until now but neither of those is powerfull enough to run the refrigerator and that is a must.