Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Audio smart? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 PM

Audio smart? HELP!

k i know very little about car audio so bare with me. As i have mentioned before i'm planning on getting 2 12"JBL subwoofers with box. However i have no idea which amp to get. also am i going to need to buy a deck as well? HELP!

I'd post a link to JBL it wont work.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:14 PM

I copied this from the site.

Loaded Enclosures
Grand Touring® Series
GTO1204BP-D

Dual 12"(300mm) Preloaded Band-Pass Enclosure with LED illumination.

No one has as much experience designing and building subwoofer enclosures as JBL. Our speaker enclosures have traveled thousands of miles, touring with some of the world's top bands and have filled stadiums, auditoriums and local clubs with rockin' bass for half a century. Our car audio subwoofer enclosures are built to the same exacting standards as our professional boxes and are designed to be rugged and to sound great. GTO enclosures feature 3/4" medium density fiberboard (MDF) construction, high-quality binding post terminals and GTO woofers. GTO enclosures are available in single or dual bandpass configurations. Unlike so many one-note-wonder enclosed subwoofers, GTO enclosures feature wide bandwidth design, which provides more output between 20Hz and 40Hz and ensures you get all the bass you've paid for.

SPECIFICATIONS

General
Power Handling, RMS 600 Watts
Power Handling, Peak 1800 Watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 96dB
Frequency Response 30Hz - 150Hz
Impedance 2 x 4 ohms
Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

You want someone to actually tell you which brand and model of amp to buy or just some advice on number of channels, wattage, and so forth?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 PM

like i said i know nothing. An exact amp and model would be helpful, or personal experience. I want to have enough power for them but i dont want them to blow up on me. should i get 1 or 2. (i know this is pathetic)
Old 09-06-2007, 02:49 PM

JBL makes more than one type of 12, I'm pretty sure. Which type are you getting two of? This info will be needed in figuring out the amp you need..

If you tell us which ones you are getting, then people will be able to give you different options of amps...

Oh, and don't feel bad about asking for help on this stuff.. At least you're not like some people who don't have a clue about this stuff and still try doing it themselves and blowing a wad of cash because they didn't ask for help

I just figured out that you posted which ones you're getting... I'll do a little searching on some amps to help you out...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM

BTW... That loaded enclosure looks nice
Old 09-06-2007, 02:57 PM

the thing I learned about watts of subs and amps is look at RMS not the plain watts, they differ and a 1400 watt amp can actually be 700 RMS
Old 09-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Shagin' is right... It's the RMS that really matters.. If you put more to the sub than it can handle at a constant/average, you'll blow it..
Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 PM

best advice I can give is go to a reputable shop near you. Not Best Buy or Circiut City, sorry hope no one works there, but a real stereo shop. They will know what works best in your car for your listneing style for your music style. I went to my local shop for my last car and he knew the speaker sizes just by the brand of vehicle Took the HHR last week, he hadn't done one yet, just a few cobalts. We spent almost an hour talking about the diferent head units, speakers, amps, and subs that could be put, placed, or changed in there. Someone who does this stuff every day will be able to get you to the right place and get you system sounding sweet.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
Shagin' is right... It's the RMS that really matters.. If you put more to the sub than it can handle at a constant/average, you'll blow it..
to further the truth...that 700Watts RMS is only on one tone...so on music it will not perform the same. add in voltage drops and its efficiency drops even more.

Quick Reply: Audio smart? HELP!