Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Backup camera install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Question Backup camera install question

I am going install a back camera and its a license plate mount. What would best way to run the wires into the hatch from the license plate?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by RobSSTurbo
I am going install a back camera and its a license plate mount. What would best way to run the wires into the hatch from the license plate?
I have the Pioneer back up camera and I installed it Inside, attached it to the bottom on the third brake light.
(I still need to cut the interior trim panel so the camera just barely shows.)
I wanted it Inside to keep it out of the weather and keep little vandals from messing with it.
I figured how dirty the back end gets the lens would get dirty pretty quick, and did not want to have to get out to wipe the lens off every time I wanted the extra view.
The view is surprizingly good through the rear window, at night the reverse lights give plenty of light too. Mine is connected directly to the Pioneer P4200 head unit with 7" touch screen, so it automnatically goes into camera mode as soon as you put it in reverse. I can also just turn it on at anytime, even while driving.

Wish the radio was Higher in our dashes, for a better view without having to look Down at it.

For your install, look closely under the rear bar and see if there is already a hole, most likely the license plate wires are Hidden behind the bar, but look and see.

If no hole you can use, you'll have to drill one and use a rubber grommet.

Get in different sizes at just about any hardware store.
Name:  b8f9475b.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  7.8 KB

Make SURE you dab some Primer on the drilled hole them dab on some touch up colore after the primer dries awhile.
(You want to PREVENT Rusting!)
Get some clear or black silicone caulk and use it around the grommet as yoiu install it and then again after you slide the wires through to Prevent any water from getting in.
Your most likely gonna have to remove the interior panel, so Before doing any drilling look and see if removing the rear bar lets you access wiring so you can install without drilling any extra hole.

IF you Must drill a new hole, think things out and try drilling it so the wire/wires are Hidden, directly behind the camera or werever the wires are on the bracket, you don't want any wire showing after your install.

I ran my wiring directly through the rubber piece up top inside that all the other wires run through, then ran it along the side of the roof when I had my headliner out, down the passenger A Pillar and under the dash to the head unit.

Take your time, think it through first, and you'll have a Pro install.
Good luck.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM

wireless backup cam wiring

Have installed a wireless backup cam and it works in camera mode. My question is how do i wire it to turn on when i shift to reverse? I dont want to run a wire to the back of the car.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM

I like A&P's idea of inside the window...otherwise a flush one in bumper would proabably work really well. Running the wires from the hatch to the front will be no problem. I have 2 6.5 speakers installed in my hatch and the wiring was the least concerning thing.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by fredygarvin
Have installed a wireless backup cam and it works in camera mode. My question is how do i wire it to turn on when i shift to reverse? I dont want to run a wire to the back of the car.
The reverse switch is sitting on top of the tranny under the hood. You can run a wire through the firewall to access. Easier to remove the LF front wheel to access the actual switch.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM

Bought one on ebay $65 with night vision.

Installed $40 being able to see everything behind me on my head
unit Priceless!
And it came with the grid system from behind like a lexus has i love that shows me how far i can back up before hitting stuff.
jeff
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM

When I installed mine, I bit the bullet and drilled my rear hatch in the recessed area near the tag. It's high enough that it's shielded from direct rainfall. So far, so good.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM

^Nice plate, there!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 AM

backup camera angle?

i like it, killer, but having it off center does it give you a centered pic like i get.
pic soon.
jeff
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

pic upload

Quick Reply: Backup camera install question