Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Center Console On Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Center Console On Dash

Does anyone have a Navigation or Monitor mounted in there console? I may do a 6" Monitor or a Navigation..

Anyone have pics??
Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Many of us have mounted the "disc" to the inside of their dash console to clip the unit on. PM " Grumpee " or "Ratzilla" they might have pics for you to check out.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM

My Garmin Nuvi sits in the upper glove box, mounted with Velcro to facilitate easy removal. Ran the wires down behind the dash with the wires for my iPod. Clean and neat, out of sight, and works just fine up there. Larger navigators, however, will not fit in this set-up.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM

I know some one has a Pioneer 7" (I think) in dash screen/navi. I am thinking about doing the same thing. Looks good.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM

I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX 8120 w/a 7" screen. Love it... a lot...

Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM

digital do you have steering wheel controls? if so does the kenwood work with them? with no problems, xm radio?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Digital_Rapture
I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX 8120 w/a 7" screen. Love it... a lot...

Putting that one in next week. A couple of JL speakers, an 8" JL Sub and amp, Backup camera, steering wheel harness, Dynomat the doors,and more.
Should make the wife happy, oh and me too

Where do you mount your USB interface?

Will do the twin 10" subs and rear speaker upgrades later. We'll do this thing in steps. I like the Kenwood Car Portal I did in my van, so this is an extension of that. The Car portal allows for the total integration of the OEM. Did that in My Odyssey, will simply replace the OEM in the HHR.

Wondering about the 8" speaker room. I'll be using a lowish profile JL. We'll see. If not , it's twin inchers sooner than expected

Created a console and added the Car Portal in the Van:

We play AACs from Memory stick. Made a couple of versions of the console USB holder. Settled on the right angle one.It sounds better than any of the CD or radio OEM compromised pathways. Hence We'll just do away with OEM in the HHR after the OEM Honda experience. OEM pathways have too many sonic compromise, even after using a Clean Sweep device.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:04 PM

I gotta AVIC-D3 in my SS. Preety haappy with it so far, luv the custom screens & bluetooth option.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
digital do you have steering wheel controls? if so does the kenwood work with them? with no problems, xm radio?
Yes I did the steering wheel controls and YES THERE IS PROBLEMS WITH MY INTERFACE. I have also a viper 7900 and from what pro tint is telling me the two interfere with each other so they are waiting for a firmware update on the GM stereo interface. If one works fine then the other scews up and vice versa. The steering wheel control is ran through the stereo interface which controls the dings, bells and alarms... I'm rather getting frustrated with this too by the way

no xm stereo...

I had the shop run my my USB, 3.5 mm jack and navi antennae out through the lower left corner of the auxillary glove box. I will take a pic later, it's raining right now.

And a side note to anyone wanting to do pre-fab headrest monitors. Look at them 1st before the install! I had mine done yesterday and they looked good inside the garage with all the shadows. But low and behold you get out in the natural daylight and you can see colors and grain are off. Got the Ebony leather option and they use black leather. Very tacky looking in my opinion. So it's going back to day to have smaller monitors installed in the stock headrests...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Digital_Rapture

And a side note to anyone wanting to do pre-fab headrest monitors. Look at them 1st before the install! I had mine done yesterday and they looked good inside the garage with all the shadows. But low and behold you get out in the natural daylight and you can see colors and grain are off. Got the Ebony leather option and they use black leather. Very tacky looking in my opinion. So it's going back to day to have smaller monitors installed in the stock headrests...
That's why I did the overhead instead. Once you got outside and the sun hit the headrest screens, they would look terrible and would pick up all the glares from stuff in the back and the shadows and colors always looked muddy.

Good luck, keep us posted and don't forget to post those pics.