Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

clipping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 AM

clipping?

Allright audio gurus, got a quick question. I installed a 12" kicker comp and a kicker zx100.2 a month or so ago. I keep hearing warnings about "clipping" what is it, and what does it sound like? The amp has been tested at 124 watts, sub handles 150. I am running about 3/4 gain, and a tad of bass boost to compensate for the stock HU cutting bass at higher volume. It sounds allright, but it doesnt seem to hit hard ( I know, I should have bought a comp vr and bigger amp, but funds said no ) or quick. If I listen to rap or techno (chemical brothers) it sounds great, if its rock, it's not so good. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM

if it sounds good (hits hard) with one style of music (rap) but not another (rock) i'd figger that the rock music just doesn't have the bass in from the time it was recorded.......
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM

ok well first link...
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

always set ur gains properly... its not a volume button... get rid of the bass boost ( it will ruin ur speaker down the line ) test tones can be found on that site...

2nd link

http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

you could read up on how it all works there

3rd link

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

this one will explain clipping

as far as rock goes... if u mean bass i think u mean the bass drum.. there all tuned differently, when were talking subs we mean 80hz n lower (give or take).. u could always get stronger mids if u wanna feel that strong hit of the kick
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 PM

Excellent! getting out the multimeter tomorrow and setting the gain. downloaded some test tones 40hz, 50hz and 30hz. Thanks for the info. Why is bass boost bad? the audio shop told me that it could cause distortion in the bass while using the oem HU, but never said it would cause problems
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM

well put it like this....

u set ur gain with everything at zero with a 3/4 volume with a 0db test tone... now u kno that when u blast ur music u wont clip... so lets say u have a flat response... when u raise ur bass boost it creats a peak (most the time) at 40hz ... so we went from this ---------- to this __/\__ we had jus balance our gain but u are now sending a stronger 40hz signal.. so this will induce clipping in the 40hz range...

plus to get more musical u want a pure unaltered signal... the bass boost will mess **** up.. lol
look i tuned mine like this.. i droped the LOW from 0 to -2.. i dont need my door speakers workin this hard cus i have a sub now... then i set my gains... now i listen to music with the LOW at -4... sometimes u dont need that much but u could always go up a lil when u need more... and if i drop the bass to the lowest point.. something like -8 sub sounds like door speakers ( i use this while parking and i turn the volume down...)

also its important to remember these are subs.. iv had friends cross there sub at like 140hz with at a 12/db oct... eventually from the subs playin so high they burnt the voice coil...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 AM

so your saying if I set the gain with the bass on the head unit on the - side then I can basically use the head unit to add bass when I need/want it, which would also eliminate distortion in the doors ? makes sense. the sub is crossed at 80hz
Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 AM

After doing some looking, I found I missed an input (was late when I installed ) so I wasnt bridged. Sounds alot better, hits a ton harder. The amp was certified at 124w so I have the amp putting out 22.5v, which is what the link told me to do. I tuned it with the bass on the head unit in the - area, and it sounds excellent
Old 10-11-2006, 05:39 PM

ohh see i thought u were running it bridged... didnt even think to ask that.. im glad it turned out better...
let me kno when ur ready to upgrade... lol
Old 10-11-2006, 06:09 PM

hehe, so did I! I am going to start looking for a new HU soon. Would like to have one that plays MP3s and has the input jack like the stock unit, just sound better
Old 10-11-2006, 07:35 PM

the stock hu plays mp3 cds