Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Does this wiring idea sound correct.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 PM

Does this wiring idea sound correct.

Well my wife decided she does not want my DVD head unit from my previous car since I will not bypass the unit to play the dvd while the car is in motion. According to the Pioneer website the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD provides 14x4w continious output per Crutchfields website based on the CEA compliance specs. I am assuming this is more than the "Premium" amp in the back of my SS. If I cut the speaker wires at the input of the amp, cut at the output and splice them together should I be able to use the Head unit power instead of the Factory amp without having to rewire all the door speakers? Here is my gameplan. If you guys don't mind can you tell me if this sounds correct?

-Install Pioneer Head unit with correct harness for door chimes etc.
-Replace factory door speakers (may keep factory tweeters) running off Head unit power.
-Bypass factory amp for door speakers by cutting wires at input, cut wires at output and splice together.
-Run mono amp for sub (undecided between aftermarket 8in woofer in factory location or Boston Acoustic G2 in ported enclosure from previous car) cutting speaker wire from factory sub to bypass and just run new speaker wire from amp to sub and RCA's to deck harness.

Does this sound correct? Any help is apreciated.

And can the GMOS-LAN-04 be used with amps other than the factory amp? The one review on Crutchfield says you cannot.

Last edited by jvm051; 11-01-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 AM

I don't have the premium system, but what you suggest sounds like it should work ( so in other words, a grain of salt and my 1st hand knowledge have striking similarities in this instance ). Why not add either a 2nd amp to your proposed setup, or just get a 5 channel one instead? An outboard amp should give you a cleaner sound, and you won't run the risk of taxing the wiring going to the head unit. I'm in the process of replacing everything but the head unit in my SS and and installing JL and MB Quart. Listening to my advice is not the cheap way to go. I haven't had a head unit run speakers in years, and have had multiple systems that sounded exquisite, but at a price.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:56 AM

No I understand where you are comming from. The factory wire should be sufficient. All the stereo systems I have ran have always used the factory wire with the exception of the sub. I actually have a 4ch amp and a mono amp, but think I can get away with just the sub amp. Its the stupid Pioneer factory amp that has me confused as to how to do this correctly. And now reading that the GMOS-LAN-04 adapter is only for using the pioneer amp. What a Pain in the ass. This is my first used car in quite some time, and have made sure I got a car with the basic stereo so when it came time to do the swap, it was just a matter of changing the head unit, pulling speakers and running wires. Now I have to deal with Onstar which I am not even using etc.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM

i think it should do for you.
and for amp suggestions. they are right. its not the right way