Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Driver side speakers - intermittent???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Good to "hear" they are fixed. Always work from speakers to head unit.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM

samr thing here

My left sides are out, sometimes the left front door speaker will work... got the faint chimes from the left pillar post tweeter. Sounds like I need some new speakers. Does anybody know what size and ohm rating by chance? I'd like to get some and put them in this weekend w/o having to tear out the door panels and then go shopping LOL!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Throw a meter (set to 12V DC) on in the wires with the speaker disconnected with the radio on-DC Voltage should fluctuate with the music.
AC Voltage not DC Voltage.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 AM

AC Voltage

Originally Posted by Eric B
AC Voltage not DC Voltage.
Ditto DC powers the radio, but the radio puts out AC to the speakers
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Please check your statements. DC in AC out? The head unit is not a converter. If that was the case speakers would not have a negative & a positive side.

Speakers have a - & a +. The negative could be direct ground or floating ground. It is DC in & DC out on normal automotive radios.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Please check your statements. DC in AC out? The head unit is not a converter. If that was the case speakers would not have a negative & a positive side.

Speakers have a - & a +. The negative could be direct ground or floating ground. It is DC in & DC out on normal automotive radios.
No Amplifiers put out AC Voltage and Current to the speakers. Put a DC battery to a speaker and see what it does and then hook a speaker up to a power outlet for instance and see what it does.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eric B
No Amplifiers put out AC Voltage and Current to the speakers. Put a DC battery to a speaker and see what it does and then hook a speaker up to a power outlet for instance and see what it does.
You are absolutely correct Eric.The voltage to the spkrs is AC of varying frequencies. That's what makes sound. The audio range of most spkrs is 20 Hertz (cycles per second) to 20,000 Hz. Most people can't hear top end or bottom. The hearing range of most people is in the 40-12,000 Hz range. The reason spkrs are marked + and- is to keep them phased correctly. The lower you go in frequency the more power it takes for any given sound level.

The preceding is the Reader's Digest version.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM

HHR Speakers not working

I have been watching these posts on HHR speakers not working - the fact that it is most likely water getting in and ruining the speakers. I sent a note to "Chevy Customer Care @ChevyCustCare" the Twitter group. They told me to take it to my dealer - who will most likely be aware that this is a problem and charge me to correct this defect in manufacturing.
Question - is there any hard evidence from any of you that I could take to the dealer and have this fixed at no charge?
Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by danbusler
I have been watching these posts on HHR speakers not working - the fact that it is most likely water getting in and ruining the speakers. I sent a note to "Chevy Customer Care @ChevyCustCare" the Twitter group. They told me to take it to my dealer - who will most likely be aware that this is a problem and charge me to correct this defect in manufacturing.
Question - is there any hard evidence from any of you that I could take to the dealer and have this fixed at no charge?
Thanks
My left side speakers were both deteriorated so that the paper cones were flaking apart. I bought new speakers, installed them in the front doors, and took the old right front and installed it in the left rear. Water could have been the cause, but I wasn't looking for that and didn't incidentally notice any evidence of water.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM

HHR Speakers not working

Originally Posted by alarue
My left side speakers were both deteriorated so that the paper cones were flaking apart. I bought new speakers, installed them in the front doors, and took the old right front and installed it in the left rear. Water could have been the cause, but I wasn't looking for that and didn't incidentally notice any evidence of water.
Thanks - but the speakers sound OK when they work, which is at random times - maybe once every week for a hour or a day. - So it it most likely something else.

Quick Reply: Driver side speakers - intermittent???