Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Faulty radio antenna amp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 04:32 PM

Faulty radio antenna amp?

For several months i have had terrible fm reception. It started one random day and has been bad ever since. I assumed something within the factory head unit failed. So, this weekend i replaced it with a pioneer unit and its equally bad.
I read a bunch of threads and decided to test the antenna amp. I checked the pink wire and its getting 12volts.
However, disconnecting the pink wire and plugging it back in makes no difference in reception.

Is it safe to assume the antenna base is bad?
Old 12-25-2016, 03:09 PM

Wow, 4 months and no replies. Did you ever get an answer? Does anyone have an answer?

New member here, and happy to find a forum dedicated to the HHR. My daughter recently bought a used 2011, and it is good to know help may be available for any issues.

I am looking at a similar radio problem, though I have not done any troubleshooting yet. The previous owner of my daughter's HHR had XM radio, which worked just fine, and she didn't think to test an AM or FM station. Now that the XM subscription has expired, she gets no AM and one very close by FM station. Sounds like an antenna problem to me. And when I learned there was an antenna amplifier, I said to myself "that's probably it." But how do I test my theory? Preferably without pulling down the headliner (at least yet).

I have read in the forum about crimping of the antenna wire near the passenger visor, but nothing was said about what years were involved. Was this fixed by 2011?

Has anyone tried installing one of those aftermarket "hidden antennas" in place of the original mast? Would kill two birds with one stone. Fix the reception issue and get rid of the ugly mast.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site Tigershark.

The reason no one answered is most likely no one on this site has had the same issue. In fact, I don't recall any one else with this issue recently.
I do remember some folks talking about this several years ago. Maybe try the sites Search function. There could be some archived threads about it.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 12-25-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Technical Moderator

I think that one actually continued in a different thread.

Is it a stock radio/HU?

Is there an antenna in the front? They tried to sell me one without it.

Is the antenna screwed in good?

The only way to get to the antenna base/amp is through the headliner, just behind the mirror.

Somebody recently said they had put a interior antenna on.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:19 AM
Administrator

This might resolve the issue and rather inexpensive at that

http://m.ebay.com/itm/122037969449?_mwBanner=1
Old 08-18-2020, 05:52 PM

HHR Antenna Amp

Originally Posted by Tigershark
Wow, 4 months and no replies. Did you ever get an answer? Does anyone have an answer?

New member here, and happy to find a forum dedicated to the HHR. My daughter recently bought a used 2011, and it is good to know help may be available for any issues.

I am looking at a similar radio problem, though I have not done any troubleshooting yet. The previous owner of my daughter's HHR had XM radio, which worked just fine, and she didn't think to test an AM or FM station. Now that the XM subscription has expired, she gets no AM and one very close by FM station. Sounds like an antenna problem to me. And when I learned there was an antenna amplifier, I said to myself "that's probably it." But how do I test my theory? Preferably without pulling down the headliner (at least yet).

I have read in the forum about crimping of the antenna wire near the passenger visor, but nothing was said about what years were involved. Was this fixed by 2011?

Has anyone tried installing one of those aftermarket "hidden antennas" in place of the original mast? Would kill two birds with one stone. Fix the reception issue and get rid of the ugly mast.
It is the Antenna amp I talked to a radio guy and it said the amp goes and you can only get it through the dealer at $200, he said to put a windshield antenna on for about $125. he currently get ant due to Covid 19
Old 08-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by reofire
It is the Antenna amp I talked to a radio guy and it said the amp goes and you can only get it through the dealer at $200, he said to put a windshield antenna on for about $125. he currently get ant due to Covid 19
Read the dates.
4 year old thread. Besides that, Tigershark hasn't logged on to this site in 3 years.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, yeah, I don’t think he’s gonna answer you.
If you’re having an issue , our resident part out guy, David should have a good used antenna amp.
PM hellshotrod and let him know what you need.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Whoever told you dealer only and $200 lied to you. Part # 15951992 is available for under $70. Here is one I found https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...-base-15951992
and https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...kAAOSwwUJeSxBQ
Old 12-27-2020, 05:13 PM

In case someone comes looking here (like me, my audio works except the radio), right now it’d $50 sold and shipped by Amazon.com

Amazon Amazon

but I’m gonna check for loose wires first. Have no idea how to get to the thing, tho.