Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Gps nav ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 PM

Gps nav ?

i just purchased a NEXTAR gps nav , it is model # 14-bc . i got for 1 of the reasons is because it has built in backup cam, i really like this feature and that i can have both in 1 unit. i think the map is way far outdated , i used it this mourning and noticed 2 different major hwys missing , close to 10 miles on each. i called to register , becuase it would not accept online. they took care of that on the phone. big problem?- they said that they had no update , that i should check back in july. is there any other way to update this gps? i hate to send it back , i got it off ebay, i have only 7 days acording to the seller. i have always said that a nav system is no good unless it has regular map updates. any help ? i really like the cam feature , i just don't like being stuck with a crappy nav system. also i made the seller an offer , it was declined , i accepted counter offer , $208 , and the shipping would be waived , but it wasn't- $13.58 that is still owed to me.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM

if they didn't update the maps you are pretty much screwed.

i have done a lot of work with GPS devices, both TomTom's and Garmins. TT's give you the ability to use mapshare where people can correct the maps and everyone gets the updates. However you can't add things like roads, highways etc.

If you want the best maps I would say stick to the major brands that use the 2 largest mapping companies Garmin (navteq) and TomTom (teleatlas).

GPS units are nice but overall they are a big PITA most of the time
Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM

I'd sent it back if at all possible. If the company doesn't have updates, you won't find any.

I love my Garmin.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM

my opinion of garmin is pretty good. they have the best maps and the absolute best routing software.

I didn't pick my TT out, it was a gift, so i got used to it. little quirks, but the TT is very customizable and you can hack the software, very cool. but missing some major features like overall route time and tracking. It also has the speeds of roads screwed up so that the ETA is way off and may take you a weird way because it "thinks" it is faster but truly is not. On the expressway it does a fine job though, backroads it gets confused.

Garmin - my biggest problem with this is satellite location and strength. My dad and father in law both have garmins, different models, and it takes forever for them to get a signal. sometimes up to 15 minutes while driving before it locks on. ridiculous. With the TT you download regular satellite updates so that it knows the path of them and knows where to look. I can usually lock on to a signal within a few minutes, sometimes as fast as 10 seconds. I even locked on one (took awhile because i didn't do the update) doing 628mph in an airplane.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM

OS WinCE

it has this microsoft os if this means anything as far as hacking. it seems to work pretty good. i really wanted to hook up the cam today , but i thought i would research this map update issue 1st. i don't care where the new red robbin or zaxby's is locacted -not that there is anything wrong with these places- i'm just saying that streets , roads , and especially hwys are most important to me. does anyone else have parts of major or minor roads, streets , hwys , missing on their navs? does anyone know where i can get anouther with the backup cam feature? i have seen some systems that have it all ,dvd , cd , am-fm , nav , and backup , this not really what i want , also i bet their maps are outdated also, but i am not sure. i could wait until july if i knew they would have a good update , but how long til the next 1? will there even be a next one.it was manufacured sept 07. that may seem old to some , but there are many being sold that are of this age.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM

I don't know of many if any with the backup cam feature. The hacking you can do with a TT is smaller things, nothing with the maps themselves and with the one you have i doubt you can change anything on the maps. They are probably using a 3rd party map company (the 2 biggies own their own now or are partners with them) and don't get enough updates.

Mine has been missing a few small things like the new expressway part near Chicago but they just finished that. A few other small things. One time it thought a mall was in the middle of a neighborhood and just dropped me off in the middle of nowhere, that was fun.

What really needs to happen is google needs to make a gps device (no idea why they haven't) and use their own freakin maps and routing since the google stuff is the best.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM

I'd stick with the major GPS vendors for now. I updated my Garmon last year, but I don't know what was updated for the local roads around me haven't shown updates, even if roads have changed. Of course some of the "new" roads were just built, so I don't know how quickly or how many of the updates get put into the software. Updates can be pricey, but at least Garmon has them.