Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Has anyone installed soundproofing in their HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Has anyone installed soundproofing in their HHR?

I have been toying with the idea of installing a sound matte of some type and was wondering if anyone has done it and how much of a pain in the butt it was? I realize you need to remove most of the interior. What products would you recommend and how long did it take?

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 PM

i used the cheap stuff on ebay to do my spare tire area. it was easy but pointless. i dont know if it was the product or that i didnt use enough. doing the hole car will probably make a diference
Old 03-05-2009, 02:15 PM

I just put second skin on all my doors. I used their Damplifier product and have been really impressed. It took a little time but I was taking the door panels off to change speakers anyway. All in all I think the effort was worth it and I am planning on doing the hatch at some point.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 PM

I used Raamat on my doors. I also put metal over the openings in the doors. I put 2 layers over them. Behind the speakers I also used a dynazorb and put some Raamat behind the drivers. The two worst rattles come from behind the outer door handle and the plastic trim piece thats just under the arm rest on the doors. Heres a link to some photos of my doors. The pics are not that great tho.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/updating-install-new-season-20664/
Old 03-06-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by hugheshhr
I used Raamat on my doors. I also put metal over the openings in the doors. I put 2 layers over them. Behind the speakers I also used a dynazorb and put some Raamat behind the drivers. The two worst rattles come from behind the outer door handle and the plastic trim piece thats just under the arm rest on the doors. Heres a link to some photos of my doors. The pics are not that great tho.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20664
Cool, thanks! I'll take a look.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:32 AM

Also Raamat is relatively cheap. I got a 50 linear ft roll for 140 shipped. Its 15 inches wide. I done 2 layers on both doors and still got enough to atleast to 1 to 1 1/2 layers on the back doors.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by hugheshhr
Also Raamat is relatively cheap. I got a 50 linear ft roll for 140 shipped. Its 15 inches wide. I done 2 layers on both doors and still got enough to atleast to 1 to 1 1/2 layers on the back doors.
How much of a difference did you notice with just the doors? I'm looking to upgrade my seats to leather and was planning on gutting the car when I swapped out the seats, but if there is a noticeable difference, I might do the doors sooner.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM

It was night and day difference. I used the same speakers in my Mazda6 i had. In the Mazda i had great mid bass, but when i put them in the HHR it went away. After I deadened the doors the midbass was back better then before. I can turn my subs off and not notice a tremendous difference with normal music. I get excellent comments from judges and other competitors about my mid bass now.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 PM

I am in the process of doing my entire interior. I'm using Fatmat I bought off of Ebay, i received 100 sq. ft. for $130 delivered. This is gonna be just enough. I had the headliner out to add an additional overhead light for the front seats so I also covered the back half of the roof area also. This most likely wont help the stereo, however it does a great job of quieting the sound of rain. Doing the floor, tire area, and wheel well's are very time consuming. I don't have the interior or amps in yet, but driving around without I can really tell the difference in road and air noise. Gonna really be quiet when I get everything reinstalled.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Extra over head light huh, lets see it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed soundproofing in their HHR?