Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

??HHR Audio/Video Buildup - Questions!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Rest In Peace

Question ??HHR Audio/Video Buildup - Questions!??

??HHR Audio/Video Buildup - Questions!??
First, Go get yourself your Favorite Beverage, Make it TWO, (I'll Wait.) this will be a LONG post to start off with here. lol
OK, I install a stereo about once every 10 years, so Please bear with me here. And have very BASIC knowledge, and I mean BASIC about car stereos.
And Now with all the car electronics, boy I know NOTHING anymore.
I am shall we say, "melding" Old and New here for my HHR. Reusing some stuff from my Chevy Astro.
I am a Pioneer Fan, have been for MANY years. First I will list what I am "planning" on Reusing. Then I will list what I have bought New so far.

THEN, the Questions will begin! lol

Here we go, from my old system-(all bought about 5 years ago and used about 1 year, been sitting since as I was too Lazy to reinstall it in my second Astro Van.)
4-Pioneer 4-way TS-A1681R (260 watt max) Speakers

2-3 way Pioneer TS-A4670R 4X6 (120 watt max ) speakers. (Planning on installing in the rear tail light access doors)

My old SubWoofer was an Alpine but it was STOLEN out of my Van and don't remember what one it actually was now. It was in a QLogic Bandpass Sub Enclosure.

Alpine MRP-M350 Mono Amp.
MRP-M350 subwoofer amplifier
Overview
Thanks to impressive power output, affordable pricing, and exceptional reliability, Alpine's V-Power amps are consistently among our best-selling models. The MRP-M350 mono amplifier gives you awesome bang for your buck, and sports some "extras" that you'd usually find only on higher-priced amps!
Hook up the MRP-M350 to one 4-ohm sub, and you get 200 watts RMS; connect a second 4-ohm subwoofer and the power output increases to 350 watts! All that juice means that your subs won't just be loud, they'll sound clean and musical, too. A variable low-pass crossover lets you tune the output to match your particular sub setup.
The 15 Hz subsonic filter eliminates very low notes (those that are too low to hear) from your system, so your bass won't sound muddy. Plus, you'll want to take advantage of the BassEQ — an adjustable bass boost of up to 12 dB at 50 Hz! Speaker-level inputs allow you the flexibility to hook up the MRP-M350 to just about any system, and gold-plated terminals ensure that you get clean signal transfer both into and out of the amp.

Details:
200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
variable Bass EQ bass boost (0-12 dB at 50 Hz)
subsonic filter (15 Hz)
MOSFET power supply
preamp- and speaker-level inputs
blue power LED
extra-large gold-plated terminals
8-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
9-3/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-9/16"D

Features
Class D Design: The MRP-M350 is a Class D amplifier, which operates more efficiently by turning more voltage into useable power, and generating less heat.
Power Supply: The power supply uses MOSFETs to convert DC battery voltage to the higher DC voltages needed for high power. It supplies positive and negative voltages around 0V, rather than around 6V as with conventional single-polarity power supplies. The result is higher power levels and a dynamic range wider by as much as 10dB.
Low Pass Crossover: The internal crossover is a 24dB/octave low pass filter variable from 50Hz to 200Hz. There is no on/off switch for this crossover, thus it is constantly active.
Subsonic Filter: This amp utilizes a 15Hz subsonic filter to eliminate super low frequencies that can rob power and damage speakers.
Bass EQ: The Bass EQ circuit provides a boost of 0-12dB at 50 Hz.

Inputs: The amplifier offers both line-level and speaker level inputs. The supplied speaker-level input harness allows you to connect this amplifier to a receiver without preamp outputs, either aftermarket or factory.
RCA Cover: The amp comes with a plastic cover that protects and insulates the RCA connections. Two supplied machine screws attach the cover to the amplifier.
Inputs and Outputs
Left Side Of Amplifier:
GND (ground): Gold-plated terminal strip, 0.33" wide
Battery: Gold-plated terminal strip, 0.33" wide
Remote: Gold-plated terminal strip, 0.33" wide
Speaker Outputs: Gold-plated terminal strips for 1 speaker, 0.33" wide
Right Side Of Amplifier:
Line Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
Speaker Level Input: Molex plug input for included harness

Alpine 4/3/2 MRP-F240 Amp.
MRP 4/3/2 Channel Power Amp MRP-F240
Thanks to impressive power output, affordable pricing, and exceptional reliability, Alpine's V-Power amps are consistently among our best-selling models. The 4-channel MRP-F240 gives you awesome bang for your buck, and sports some "extras" that you'd usually find only on higher-priced amps.
The MRP-F240 is designed to work in a variety of applications: With 40 watts RMS per channel in 4-channel mode, you can easily drive two pairs of full-range or component speakers. Or, bridge the amp to 2-channel mode for 100 watts RMS x 2. That power makes your music sound tighter and more detailed at all volume levels.
Selectable high-pass/low-pass crossovers at 80 Hz let you adjust the frequency output depending on whether you're powering full-range speakers or a sub. If you're driving a subwoofer and using the low-pass crossover, a subsonic filter automatically engages on channels 3 and 4; this eliminates very low bass notes (those that are too low to hear) for cleaner performance.
You'll want to take advantage of BassEQ's adjustable boost (up to 12 dB at 50 Hz). Speaker-level inputs allow you to connect the MRP-F240 to just about any system, and gold-plated terminals ensure that you get clean signal transfer both into and out of the amp.
Details:
40 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
50 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
100 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms
2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
4-ohm stable in bridged mode
Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
requires 10-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
selectable high-pass/low-pass crossover at 80 Hz, 18 dB/octave (2 separate crossovers, one for channels 1 & 2, another for channels 3 & 4)
subsonic filter at 15 Hz for channels 3 & 4
tuned Bass EQ (0-12 dB bass boost at 50 Hz) for channels 3 & 4
preamp outputs
MOSFET power supply
STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interference)
speaker- and preamp-level inputs
gold-plated screw terminals
10-1/2"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-9/16"D
Features
Power Supply: The MRP-F240 amplifier's power supply uses MOSFETs to convert DC battery voltage to the higher DC voltages needed for high power. It supplies positive and negative voltages around 0V, rather than around 6V as with conventional single-polarity power supplies. The result is higher power levels and a dynamic range wider by as much as 10dB.
Gain Controls: This amp has independent front and rear channel gain controls.
Crossovers: Both front and rear channels have independently selectable high-pass and low-pass fixed 80 Hz crossovers with a slope of 18dB/octave.
Subsonic Filter: This amp utilizes a 15Hz subsonic filter to eliminate super low frequencies that can rob power and damage speakers. The subsonic filter operates only for the rear channels, and is engaged when the rear channel crossover is set to "low-pass" operation.
Bass EQ: The Bass EQ circuit provides a boost of 0-12dB at 50 Hz for the rear channels only. The Bass EQ does not function when the amp's rear-channel crossover is set to "high-pass" operation.
Inputs: The amplifier offers both line-level and speaker level inputs for 4 channels. The supplied speaker-level input harness allows you to connect this amplifier to a receiver without preamp outputs, either aftermarket or factory.
Line Outputs: This amplifier has a pair of non-fading stereo RCA line outputs. You can use these outputs to daisy-chain another amplifier without having to run additional signal cables from the receiver.
RCA Cover: The amp comes with a plastic cover that protects and insulates the RCA connections. Two supplied machine screws attach the cover to the amplifier. Note: The cover adds about 1-1/4" to the width of the amplifier when installed.
Inputs and Outputs
Left Side Of Amplifier:
GND (ground): Gold-plated terminal strip, 0.33" wide
Battery: Gold-plated terminal strip, 0.33" wide
Remote: Gold-plated terminal strip, 0.33" wide
Speaker Outputs: Gold-plated terminal strips for 4 speakers, 0.33" wide
Right Side Of Amplifier:
Line Inputs: 2 pairs of gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
Line Outputs: 1 pair of gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
Speaker Level Input: Molex plug input for included 8-pin harness

Pioneer DEH-P7700 MP Head Unit with remote, (GOOD Head Unit, but I am using Another Pioneer HU I will list with the NEW stuff.)
Cables I used to hook it all up in the Astro Van.

Continued-
Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Rest In Peace

Question

Now for the NEW stuff I have just bought.
Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD HU with 7" touch screen.

Pioneer CD-R55 Remote

Pioneer ND-BC4 Rear-view Camera .) (A MUST Have in a HHR Panel, IMO

Pioneer TS-CX7 Center Channel Speaker (Got a Great DEAL on Amazon, not even sure I can use it as a "center channel" for DVD's with the AVH-P4200 or not, I ordered it before the HU was shipped.) Hope so, I'd like to mount it overhead.

I got the AVH-P4200DVD and the Remote for just $312.59 from Amazon through a email they sent me to add a "Code" in at checkout.
AWSOME DEAL.

TVIEW 9" BLACK Headrest Monitors +Video Games(27) +2 Wireless Headsets.

Alpine SWE-1243 12" Subwoofer. (Just grabbed it at Best Buy, NOT. Afterwards found it at HALF what they charged, needless to say it goes BACK tomorrow for a Refund.)

QLogic Bandpass Sub Enclosure. (Bought another one as a TEMP Sub housing) Eventually I will take out my spare tire and make a Custom elclosure so I can have FULL use of the back without a sub box in the way.(See Truckin' Magazine online for the 2008 HHR stereo install on a budget.

I think that's about it, so far.

A little History, I bought the old system at Best Buy about 5 years ago, I asked the Kid in the stereo Dept. questions as I bought items over a few weeks time. Bought one of the Amps as a "open item", and the rest was New in the boxes, even the open item one was still in its box.

SO,

I am not looking to blow the doors off or shatter the windows here, BUT, I DO want it Better and LOUDER than the "Premium" 7 speaker Pioneer system my Panel came with.

I DO have and want to Keep my OnStar ON. Stock HU is Single CD but I do see "XM" on it?
There was a Sirrus Unit installed and the Dock is still clipped in my AC Vent, I see badly tucked wires around the console, and a Cig Plug goes into the power in back of the counsole, There is also a Disk on the roof next to the onstar antenna that has "Sirrus" written on it. I did Not get the docking unit, so I have No clue what all else is still there for it.

I do Not want to cut up my wiring "Hard Wire" the new system, I want to use whatever Harnesses are Needed.

What Harnesses will I need? (I Do have the steering wheel controls too.) Stopped at a local custom stereo store, they wanted over $300.00 just for them???

Are my Alpine Amps OK to use??? If Not, What am I looking for? Can I Upgrade at a later time? ( I want to keep the new setup Pioneer / Alpine.

I AM on a Budget here so I would like to reuse what I can.

Can I Use the stock speaker wiring in the 4 doors? I would Like too if I can, system can be Upgraded later if needed.
What else am I gonna Need?

If that Alpine SubWoofer is not good for the Alpine Mono Amp I have, what Alpine 12" sub should I get? (Keep in mind the Q LOGIC Bandpass Box is Only a TEMP housing until everything it all hooked up and working, then a Custom flush mounted sub box will be Built like in the Truckin' Article.)

What HU install Kit should I get for the AVH-P4200DVD ?
I will post some Pics later on.
Thanks for the read, and any answers you can provide. I will have Plenty more to come as I start this install/

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 AM

What Harnesses will I need? (I Do have the steering wheel controls too.) Stopped at a local custom stereo store, they wanted over $300.00 just for them???

Unfortunately -- this is what they cost.. they are correct. These cars are LAN Based. The module is required to keep OnStar and the Door Chimes. Steering wheel controls are maintained by another module.

Are my Alpine Amps OK to use??? If Not, What am I looking for? Can I Upgrade at a later time? ( I want to keep the new setup Pioneer / Alpine.

Alpine Amps are Great - my Recommendation ... PDX5. This is a Great solution for smaller cars - 600w total power built in Crossovers.

Can I Use the stock speaker wiring in the 4 doors? I would Like too if I can, system can be Upgraded later if needed.

You can use the wiring that runs from the factory amplifier to the speakers themselves- saves time. Overall, upgrading would be the best way. But, in the interest of saving time. it'll work.

If that Alpine SubWoofer is not good for the Alpine Mono Amp I have, what Alpine 12" sub should I get? (Keep in mind the Q LOGIC Bandpass Box is Only a TEMP housing until everything it all hooked up and working, then a Custom flush mounted sub box will be Built like in the Truckin' Article.)

Alpine Type E or Type S is about all you can use on that thing... I JUST built a custom box for a customer with 2 Type S 12's .. he had 2 of those Alpine Amps, one for ea sub...worked pretty well.

Metra or Scosche

Thanks for the read, and any answers you can provide. I will have Plenty more to come as I start this install/

Glad to help... As I am building my SS into something well... alittle more ridiculous..
Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Agree. Harness for OnStar is expensive. And the steering wheel adapter is seperate and will cost a few bucks, too
Assuming your HHR does NOT have the factory installed sub/amp in the rear. That may be a completely different harness. Mine didn't have it so I have no knowledge of the costs.

I used my existing wire for door speakers and have had no issues. Unless you are really hard-core about it, you should be fine.

My kit was Scosche. It fits very nicely, but you will need to trim the top to allow that face to tilt without touching. No big deal to trim, just go slow so you don't get a finger!! (PICS in my gallery)Thanks.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by techguy

Unfortunately -- this is what they cost.. they are correct. These cars are LAN Based. The module is required to keep OnStar and the Door Chimes. Steering wheel controls are maintained by another module.

I know I can get them online cheaper, Wondering Who is the cheapest?

Alpine Amps are Great - my Recommendation ... PDX5. This is a Great solution for smaller cars - 600w total power built in Crossovers.

About $350.00 at Amazon, I would like to use the Alpines I have now, and update them Later on, once I have everything up and working. I AM on a Budget here.

I thought 2 seperate amps were Better than running one?

You can use the wiring that runs from the factory amplifier to the speakers themselves- saves time. Overall, upgrading would be the best way. But, in the interest of saving time. it'll work.

I understand, but for now will want to use them, at least until I UP the system.

Alpine Type E or Type S is about all you can use on that thing... I JUST built a custom box for a customer with 2 Type S 12's .. he had 2 of those Alpine Amps, one for ea sub...worked pretty well.

By "on that thing" are you referring to the Alpine Mono Amp I have now?
As I said, I want to use what I already have, Get up and running. Then I can slowly upgrade the system to be alot more Powerful. If I feel the need.

Metra or Scosche

Glad to help... As I am building my SS into something well... alittle more ridiculous..
I understand you are a Custom Stereo store Owner, so of course you can go WILD at wholesale Cost. lol
I gotta get there slower paying retail, therefore I have to upgrade in stages.
So I MUST shop for the BEST Prices I can find.
Thanks for the reply and info.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Rest In Peace

***What Harnesses will I need? (I Do have the steering wheel controls too.) Stopped at a local custom stereo store, they wanted over $300.00 just for them???
Agree. Harness for OnStar is expensive. And the steering wheel adapter is seperate and will cost a few bucks, too
Assuming your HHR does NOT have the factory installed sub/amp in the rear. That may be a completely different harness. Mine didn't have it so I have no knowledge of the costs.
They wanted $199.99 for the OnStar one, locally, I know even crutchfield is Less. I am sure I can get it down some, $300.00 is crazy for what they are. IMO.
My HHR Does have the 7 speaker Pioneer Factory system, so I have the 8" Sub. NOT planning on using it though. I have the Factory steering wheel radio controls and Want to Keep them in use.

I used my existing wire for door speakers and have had no issues. Unless you are really hard-core about it, you should be fine.

For now, I will use mine as well, after I upgrade my Amps and Sub, I Plan on mounting 1 or 2 subs in the Future, in the spare tire well so I can Keep the rear space wide open with no sub boxes in the way, or in Sight of SCUM.

My kit was Scosche. It fits very nicely, but you will need to trim the top to allow that face to tilt without touching. No big deal to trim, just go slow so you don't get a finger!! (PICS in my gallery)Thanks.Hope that helps.

Thanks, do you have to file the Metra one that was mentioned?

I sent you a PM BTW.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Rest In Peace

Question

I called Crutchfield.

They tell me I Need the http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLA...e.html?tp=3486 even tho I will Not be using the 8" sub and the factory Amp, Is that Correct?

Basically they said I need -
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLA...e.html?tp=3486 Metra GM OnStar® Interface
General Motors OnStar® data bus interface (Model GMOS-LAN-04)
Retains OnStar, factory door chime, and factory amplifier $174.99

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142GM15...eiver-Kit.html Scoshe GM/Chevrolet In-dash Receiver Kit
Fits select 2006-up models
Chassis sizes E & DD $19.99

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040CR...a-Adapter.html Antenna Adapter $12.99

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP50...ector-Kit.html Optional - Posi-Products™ Car Stereo Connector Kit
16 connectors for installing a new car stereo $5.99

And they do Not carry the harness for the steering wheel controls for a 2008 HHR.

$207.97 without the steering wheel radio control harness!

Anyone know more about this? Where can I get them for Less?

And were can I get the harness for my steering wheel radio controls for a 2008?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 PM
RFT

Do you want to keep onstar and chimes? If so, you are in the 100+ range for a harness. $200 seems excessive to me - you should be able to get one for 130-150.

Also, if you're using an aftermarket amp, you may want to inquire about the lan-03. I know the lan-04 adds adds the ability to use the factory amps. I do not know anyone who has tried this, but it seems logical if you're using an aftermarket amp you can just use the lan-03.

If you don't care about the chimes or onstar you can get one for about $20. Just remember you don't get any warning chimes at all going this route. For some reason, I can't remember if it is Metra's 70-2104 or 71-2104.

Rob
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by RFT
Do you want to keep onstar and chimes? If so, you are in the 100+ range for a harness. $200 seems excessive to me - you should be able to get one for 130-150.

Also, if you're using an aftermarket amp, you may want to inquire about the lan-03. I know the lan-04 adds adds the ability to use the factory amps. I do not know anyone who has tried this, but it seems logical if you're using an aftermarket amp you can just use the lan-03.

If you don't care about the chimes or onstar you can get one for about $20. Just remember you don't get any warning chimes at all going this route. For some reason, I can't remember if it is Metra's 70-2104 or 71-2104.

Rob
Yes as I have said, I want to Keep Onstar and the warning chimes. (I could ditch the friggin seat belt one if that could be shut off alone.)

The Crutchfield guy said Yes you Need the one that is for the Pioneer system even tho you are basically Not gonna use most if not all of it. He said, Because you are starting off with it, the harnesses are designed for it. The 04 one is $175.00 and says you can still use the factory installed amps.

The 03 lan one says the same thing but it is $129.00.

I don't want to buy a $175.00 Mistake.

And I still have no source for the 2008 steering wheel control harness.

Is there another forum I can get some Solid answers at? I want to get these harnesses ordered up so I can start installing.

I want to be able to put it all back to the Stock configuration Easily when I am ready to sell the HHR. So I Need the Correct Harnesses.

Not alot of fun having a bunch of boxes full of Audio/Video stuff you can't install until you get the Correct Harnesses.

Name:  bfcbedf4.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  60.4 KB

Last edited by American & Proud; 07-29-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Rest In Peace

Bump.

Quick Reply: ??HHR Audio/Video Buildup - Questions!??