Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

hhr radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 AM

For all the hassles this causes if/when my head unit dies I'm replacing with aftermarket.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM

Strike Two.

This is what the tech said: "tried multiple times and ways to program used radio and there was no communication. removed radio and disconnected power from it for 15 minutes and retried programming. Used radio is unprogrammable. recommend exchanging radio at diamond [salvage yard] and trying the reprogram again. (verified old radio [which has problems] was able to be reprogrammed before condemning the new used radio)."

The tech said he has done this dozens of times with various GM models and this is the first one he has not been able to program.

I suspect the radio is bad. My next move is to go back to the salvage yard.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:24 PM

Ive called 3 different local Tampa Bay Chevy dealers and every one has said they can not program a radio that was already progrmmed to another vin.
I bought a 10 hhr with a junk aftermarket radio. Im wanting to go back stock but having a tough time. The dealers here want $130/hour to program a radio. They say 1-1.5 hours, thats a lot of money.
Im not sure I want to spin that wheel.
From what I understand there is an adapter for aftermarket units so I dont lose my warning sounds and such. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Technical Moderator

Anywhere they sell after market radios. I suggest you go to crutchfield.com; they have an easy to navigate site for finding parts you need and free advice, you do not have to buy from them.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Anywhere they sell after market radios. I suggest you go to crutchfield.com; they have an easy to navigate site for finding parts you need and free advice, you do not have to buy from them.
You rock, thank you!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Perhaps the dead unable to program radio , suffered a spike like my Pioneer head unit.
I can’t find anyone who opens up radios and actually repairs them.
I did have Sweetie’s radio in her Sunfire GT, refurbished in 2012, that company has since closed, he retired.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Perhaps the dead unable to program radio , suffered a spike like my Pioneer head unit.
I can’t find anyone who opens up radios and actually repairs them.
I did have Sweetie’s radio in her Sunfire GT, refurbished in 2012, that company has since closed, he retired.
Im not sure what state youre in but these folks are a stones throw away from me and said they will take my stock head unit as a core and sell me a refurbished unit thats had the previous vin cleared so it should be plug & play at that point.
Home
Old 08-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Administrator

I’m in Canada, but we’ll be in St. Pete’s / Clearwater area in April.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Technical Moderator

I have seen those on eBay.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I’m in Canada, but we’ll be in St. Pete’s / Clearwater area in April.
You'll be in my hood, im in Citrus Park, about 30 minutes away. This place is in Oldsmar off Racetrack rd about 20 minutes from Clearwater but further from St Pete. Ive been researching these damn radios and how to install a used unit and not pay a local dealer $130/hour to basically clear the previous vin. My roomie is an electronics wiz and knew about this company from previous searches for factory radio repair. Looks like ill be replacing the chip in the used unit I bought to unlock it. From what ive read its a permanent unlock. If it works I might buy a few more units since ill have 4 extra chips.
Bring that head unit down with you and my roomie will look and see whats wrong with it. It may be something as simple as a protection diode. Pm me and ill send you my email addy.

Quick Reply: hhr radio replacement