Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

How to hook up an amp and sub-woofer setup without affecting the existing Premium sys

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 PM

The output of the HU Head unit is "Low-Level". RCA inputs of most amplifiers are "Low-Level". As long as the signal level (meaning low level) is maintained, from source to amp, NO converter is needed.

A Line Output Converter is used when there is NO source low level output available. This is why it is a converter. To convert the "High-Level" output back down to "Low-Level". Without the converter, you will either fry the input of the sub amp, or the output of the original amp, or both.

It is your preference where to tap into.

Tap into the output of the head unit, and you just need to splice in, solder, whichever, to your input of the sub amp.

Tap into the speaker output of the stock amp, you will need a converted to bring the signal back down to "low-level".
Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
If your amp has RCA inputs, you do need one...

Any one of the three or so we linked to will work. I don't see how our posts are confusing...
If you were to use the low level inputs you would be able to get around the converter. I wouldn't do it myself, but........
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by erf2u
The output of the HU Head unit is "Low-Level". RCA inputs of most amplifiers are "Low-Level". As long as the signal level (meaning low level) is maintained, from source to amp, NO converter is needed.

A Line Output Converter is used when there is NO source low level output available. This is why it is a converter. To convert the "High-Level" output back down to "Low-Level". Without the converter, you will either fry the input of the sub amp, or the output of the original amp, or both.

It is your preference where to tap into.

Tap into the output of the head unit, and you just need to splice in, solder, whichever, to your input of the sub amp.

Tap into the speaker output of the stock amp, you will need a converted to bring the signal back down to "low-level".
The reason I said to use one, is just to get from speaker wire to RCA.

You could use something like Smoke Wagon posted if you didn't want an output converter.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iK7fzPF...CLR2SW&tp=2610
Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM

the directions by the original author will work. But for many of us, stripping a RCA wire and soldering one end to the factory wiring harness may seem a bit intimidating. However, if you use a converter, you can CONVERT speaker wire to RCA wire to just plug-n-play in to your sub box's amp.

we werent trying to stray off topic...we were just trying to give people another option which might make stereo upgrades less intimidating for the novice DIY'er.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 PM

I agree..it is personal preference as there are many options for everyone.

Now back to the topic..keep those upgrades and mods going and let's all share ideas!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 AM
Banned

Um, why not just go to RadioShack and get some bare RCA connectors so you don't have to strip down an expensive, pre-made cable just to get to the connectors?

The original author is correct--this is NOT a how-to for using speaker-level inputs, it's for how to tap into the factory low-level (read: RCA) inputs for the factory amp/sub system.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
If your amp has RCA inputs, you do need one...

Any one of the three or so we linked to will work. I don't see how our posts are confusing...
No you dont , thats what this is for http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iK7fzPF...CLR2SW&tp=2610

Line output converters for for speaker level input. The stock sub pioneer stuff you are splicing into is already low level.

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Um, why not just go to RadioShack and get some bare RCA connectors so you don't have to strip down an expensive, pre-made cable just to get to the connectors?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iK7fzPF...CLR2SW&tp=2610

expensive?

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
we werent trying to stray off topic...we were just trying to give people another option which might make stereo upgrades less intimidating for the novice DIY'er.
then make a thread about it
Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

Compared to these, yeah:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062472&cp

Why is everyone so on edge about this crap these days?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:02 PM

I don't think anyone is on edge, just want to get the best steup. While I will not claim to be some pro installer I will try to pass on the little bit of knowledge I have to help someone else out. You can either do it right or hack it up, your car........your choice.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Compared to these, yeah:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062472&cp

Why is everyone so on edge about this crap these days?
I don't think anyone is on edge , bad/confusing information is a plague that slows/stops progression. Just trying to keep it to a minimum

Quick Reply: How to hook up an amp and sub-woofer setup without affecting the existing Premium sys