Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Improving HHR Sound stage

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 PM

Improving HHR Sound stage

Now that I have finished upgrading the audio components in my HHR it sounds pretty damn tasty. I think my only complaint is that the sound sounds slightly lower then ear level and could be better. I have Infinity components in the doors and the tweeters are mounted about 10 inches above the mid-woofers. (near the door handles)

The general consensus is that to maintain quality you are supposed to keep them within 10 inches of each other.(tweeter/woofer) With this setup alone the sound sounded low so I hooked up the pillar tweeters to fill the upper area. This helped but I really think that the HHR needs some some speakers in the dash or something to bring the sound up.

Anyone installed any speakers into the dash to correct this. I have seen small tweeter "pods" with 2" speakers mounted up there as well. Anyone tried it? In the sub install post I see a lot of good sub setups but for me its not all about bass! What did you do with the rest?

Your input would be much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Something like this?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Doing mids in kick pods firing slightly up usually helps raise the soundstage.
I will be building my fiberglass pods within the next few months if I ever get around to it.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM

GDZHHR: That looks cool! Ed: I am going with the Image Dynamics horns under the dash. They will play everything from about 800hz on up. As soon as I get "unlazy" I am going to mount them and disconnect the factory tweeters. Those horns do wonders for the soundstage. Best thing is that they fit! These things don't fit in a lot of cars but you can get them in the HHR without too much fuss and still have tons of leg room. Since they are under the dash and close to the door mids they fit the 10" rule perfectly. Kick panels are great too but how are you gonna overcome the e-brake petal?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 AM

E-BRAKE PEDAL???? none in the '06 is this E-brake pedal a true retro option from GM?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM

I have an e-brake handle in the center console. I havent seen the pedal in an HHR.

But I have done kicks with E-brake pedals before and it's simple enough to fit behind them in most cars.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 AM

My bad fellas! I forget what stopped me from building pods? Is the hood latch there??? I think thats what I was getting at. I know there is something in the way?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 PM

Hood latch is there but there is still plenty of room. I am entertaining the idea of cutting into the metal and putting 12" subs down there.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 AM

Thats pretty nice GDZHHR would certainly help!

Originally Posted by Ed RazorLite
Hood latch is there but there is still plenty of room. I am entertaining the idea of cutting into the metal and putting 12" subs down there.
I had this idea as well not 12s but something better then the 6.5s. (8's?)
Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Hey ED before you go cutting up the car for 12's have you ever considered 8's in the doors? I think you could fit them easily. The nice thing about the HHR door is the stumpy windows. They don't go down behind the speaker leaving plenty of room down there. If anything it's less cutting

Quick Reply: Improving HHR Sound stage