Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Installing Amp/Sub and door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 PM

Installing Amp/Sub and door speakers

I have the factory Pioneer system with sub and amp. A few days ago my amp died and I am left with no sounds (I still get door chimes from the front speaker though). I decided I would just replace everything instead of getting another factory amp. I got a JL Audio 5 channel amp, JL Audio 8" sub, JL Audio C3 component fronts and C1 coaxial rears. I am trying to figure out the best way to install this and what I may need from the factory amp. I already have a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX head unit.

Would the best course of action be to run RCA from the head unit to the new amp, and run speaker wires and tap into the existing speaker wire at the harness from the amp? Can I still run the amp remote on from the pink wire in the factory amp harness? If I can avoid running new wires to the speaker doors that would be ideal. If anyone has any advise or tips I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Technical Moderator

You might try asking the manufacturer.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 PM

So it looks like I can run RCA's out of the Pioneer head unit for the Front, Rear, and Sub channels bypassing the majority of the Low Level inputs going into the factory amp. Then I can tap into the wiring going directly into the speakers themselves coming from my new amp. I can tap into the pink wire going to the factory amp and use that as my remote turn on for the new amp.

Is my thinking correct or am I missing something? By unplugging the factory amp will I lose my warning chimes?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Chimes are thru the left front speaker and tweeter
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Technical Moderator

The pink wire also powers the antenna amplifier. It is on/off.

I don't know about the green "remote radio ctrl signal" wire. I assume the 2 components need to talk the same language.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:22 AM

I am just trying to figure out what sends the signal for the chimes, does it come from the amp or another source? If it doesn’t come from the amp then I would assume bypassing it would not make a difference. I guess I could check by just unplugging the amp completely and seeing if I still have chimes, if I do I should be good to go. If not then I will have to figure out a way to integrate them into the new system, or just not bother with them. I just like having the audible alert there.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Administrator

There’s no amp in the non Pioneer system, yet it has chimes.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Technical Moderator

The BCM sends the chime signal to the head unit via the serial data line (I think).
Old 04-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Your head unit harness should allow you to keep the chimes. And yes, you can tap into factory speaker wires from your new amp, that's exactly what I did with my system and it works great. Just unplug the factory amp output harness and use t-taps on the wires.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Got it all figured out and working. Ran wiring to factory speaker wires from the amp. Ran wires from the factory amp to a factory tweeter to keep the chimes. Works great.

Quick Reply: Installing Amp/Sub and door speakers