Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

keep popping inline fuse on my amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:00 PM

keep popping inline fuse on my amp

so i got these 2 12s installed in my HHR...no fancy amp..just a cheapo american bass like 800 watt...so around 400 rms .......i had the same system in my old car that i got rid of to get my HHR......nothing has changed at all except the car.......for some reason the fuse keeps blowing either inline or at the amp it self.....the only other thing i can think of that i changed was since the battery is in the back i ran the amp ground to the neg battery post...could this be causing the fuse to blow?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:07 PM

I don't see how that would do it. I have my ground to the batt to and no problems. I would start checking all the wires starting at the batt and all the way to the subs. I once had a wire inside the sub box come loose and hit the other wire and poped the fuse. Check to see if any of your wires at the amp are rubbing the amp or other wires. Hope it helps.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:46 PM

Where are you drawing your "hot" from?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:27 PM

well i should say it only pops if i play the system at at high level for over a few mins.....My power and ground is ran right to the battery....as well as the remote wire...i plan to use the factory remote wire for the factory amp soon...but i dont see that causing a fuse to blow..............In my old car i could play the system at the same level for 30 mins straight with no problems
Old 05-20-2006, 09:41 PM

fuses

do you have your amp chassis to the chassis of the car and put the ground wire on the frame/chassis of the car
Old 05-20-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by freshone
do you have your amp chassis to the chassis of the car and put the ground wire on the frame/chassis of the car
no i already said that i put the ground to the battery neg post
Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by slamed87lincoln
well i should say it only pops if i play the system at at high level for over a few mins.....My power and ground is ran right to the battery....as well as the remote wire...i plan to use the factory remote wire for the factory amp soon...but i dont see that causing a fuse to blow..............In my old car i could play the system at the same level for 30 mins straight with no problems
How does your amp turn off if everything is wired to the battery?Ps. your sig is huge..
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 PM

Check for proper connections, of course. Make sure the crimps are all in good shape, if you're using crimp connectors at the battery. Speaker connections tight at the amp, back of your prefab, and inside the prefab at your subs.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Skatetheglobe
How does your amp turn off if everything is wired to the battery?Ps. your sig is huge..
it sounds stupid but it dont....and since its a very low voltage dwarl it dont hurt the battery.....Like i said i do plan to find the factory amp remote wire and splice into that for my amp remote to fix that issue
Old 05-21-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tokyo
Check for proper connections, of course. Make sure the crimps are all in good shape, if you're using crimp connectors at the battery. Speaker connections tight at the amp, back of your prefab, and inside the prefab at your subs.
wouldnt the fuses blow alot quicker if the connections were loose or touching each other? its weird...i can play all day with the volume on the factory H/U about 1/2 way up....but anywhere past that for more than a few mins the fuse pops.....is it possible i need a bigger power cable and ground? im just using 8 guage.....i have some 4 guage laying around...should i try that?

Quick Reply: keep popping inline fuse on my amp