Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Kenwood DPX500BT Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Kenwood DPX500BT Owners

This goes out to anyone who has installed a Kenwood DPX500BT in their HHR. I recently installed this unit in my 2009, and cannot get the units display dimming to work. The unit has a wire for dimming, but I cannot find a vehicle wire that will perform this function.

Perhaps other HU manufactures have this option also, and someone has gotten this option to work on it ?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

Try updating it?

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...eiver/DPX500BT
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 PM

lawdog88,

Thanks for the reply. I have updated the firmware. What I m trying to find out is what wire from the existing vehicle wires needs to be attached to the dimmer control wire on the Kenwood HU. None of the figures or wiring diagrams that I have seen, or have been provided with, show a connection for this dimmer control.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Banned

Does it indicate that this is possible "on some models"?

I would think if that option is possible, it would be integrated into the device itself not something that the dimmer dial can do.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:42 PM

On my Chevy HHR when the headlights go on, the dash lights become dimmer. The stock stereo lights would also dim. I could also adjust the brightness of all the afore mentioned lights with a rotary switch located above the stereo. I am trying to figure out how to make my new HU do this also. I am trying to find someone who has tied a dimmer control wire from their HU to some vehicle harness wire that controls the dimming that takes place.

My dash lights still dim when the head lights come on. I can still control the brightness of the dash lights with the rotary switch. My HU does not dim, I am trying to make it do so.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:05 PM

Not sure if the Kenwood units are the same as my Pioneer head unit in this area, but with my X950BH model the "dimmer" wire hooks to the "lights" signal wire. It is either bright or dim, no adjustment is possible. The color in my 2007 HHR is orange or orange w/ white stripe.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

I glanced through a HHR wiring schematic in my repair manual. It shows a solid grey wire, pin position #2 to be the "dimmer sw sig".
It also shows it to be the same color/location with or without the amplified system.

Not sure if this is the wire you need or not.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Excerpt from Kenwood DSP500BT Owners Manual.

Display Description

"DISP DIMMER" Dims the display part in conjunction with the Light switch of the vehicle.

"DIM OFF": Does not dim the display.

"DIM AUTO": Dims the display in conjunction with the Light switch of the vehicle.

"DIM MANUAL1": Dims the display constantly.

"DIM MANUAL2": Dims the display darker than that in the Manual1 mode.

"ILLUMI DIMMER" Reduces the key Illumination brightness.

"DIM OFF": Does not dim the illumination.

"DIM AUTO": Dims the illumination in conjunction with the Light switch of the vehicle.

"DIM MANUAL1": Dims the illumination constantly.

"DIM MANUAL2": Dims the illumination darker than that in the Manual1 mode.

I guess I'm looking for someone who knows quite a bit about the wiring of this vehicle.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:25 PM

firemangeorge,

Thank you. I also saw this in the manual. However when I looked at the actual 14 pin connector, there is NO wire connected to pin #2. That is the reason for my original post. I am trying to find that line somewhere else in this harness.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting that there is no wire there.
You could look for a solid grey wire in the harness and test it. If there is no solid grey wire,(or that's not the dimmer wire) then test the others in the harness.
One of them should be the dimmer feed I would think. Just test with a multi meter till you find the one that triggers the dimming function.
I would assume it will be a wire that you don't currently have connected to the new HU.

Quick Reply: Kenwood DPX500BT Owners