Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

OEM DVD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:52 PM

OEM DVD Radio

I appologize if this has been asked before (a search revealed nothing). Will this radio work in an 06-07 HHR?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8896676&rd=1,1

I realize that the seller claims it does, but I would like to hear from some of the members here whether anyone has tried to install this specific radio in their HHR.

Last edited by 07WhiteHHR2LT; 04-06-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Text Added
Old 04-06-2007, 02:37 PM

It looks the same to me........but don't take my word on it.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Based upon other discussions on trading up/down with GM radios....they need to be "reflashed" to you car. The only one that can do that is the dealer. I would check and see what the cost is.

Might be wrong, but I believe another thread is on this Forum regarding a member selling his to someone and now they are complaining the dealer can't do the reflash. You might want to locate that thread, for info.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Yeah, I've seen that thread. From what I've learned on this forum so far, the consensus is that an 06 and 07 radio is different and won't work regardless of reflashing, and any radio change will require reflashing (please correct me if I'm wrong). The radio in question is one that's not even an option in the HHR, but is physically the correct size to install in the dash. I came across that one on ebay and thought it would be cool if it worked with the HHR. My idea was to install a flip-up DVD monitor in the compartment on top of the dash, connected to the in-dash DVD/CD unit.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 PM

If it will fit (which it looks like it would) that would be great and sounds like a good deal. I paid $50 for a 6 disc from another member who upgraded to an aftermarket system. Had to pay $89 to the dealer to have it reflashed (got hosed on that deal...but what else could I do?) I then was able to sell my factory 1 disc to a member here for $35, so all it really cost me was about $100 and I'm happy...the guy I bought it from is happy and the guy I sold mine to is happy. Pretty much a win, win, win situation except the dealer charges me and the guy that bought mine had to pay.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 PM

I looked at that or one like it on ebay also. If you look at the radio it looks the same, but look close, it has a CD player and a DVD and looks to be a little taller it is not a good pic. and you can't see it up close. all the controls look to be in the same place and if they are then how did they fit the DVD in with out it being a little biger
Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
I looked at that or one like it on ebay also. If you look at the radio it looks the same, but look close, it has a CD player and a DVD and looks to be a little taller it is not a good pic. and you can't see it up close. all the controls look to be in the same place and if they are then how did they fit the DVD in with out it being a little biger

Good point. I've switched back and forth numerous times between the pics that the seller provided and the only difference I can find is the space between the row of favorites buttons and the volume button. It's very slight and not sure if it would make up the difference for the DVD slot above. It also appears that the height of the display screen is slightly shorter on the DVD unit. Like you said, poor pics and hard to compare.

I might just have to buy one to see for myself....
Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM

For anyone interested, the radio mentioned in the first post is indeed the same physical size as the stock HHR radio (got it right here in front of me). The volume knob is a bit smaller of diameter on the DVD unit than the stocker, so that's what made it look taller in the pics.

Now, got to find out how to connect a DVD monitor to this thing....
Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Does the unit actually power up and work in the car? Did you have to get it reprogrammed at the dealer? Is there a composite video out or an S-video? Is it set up for surround?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:44 PM

There is neither composite video out nor S-video. The only thing on the back of the radio is three 16-pin plugs and one 14-pin (and an antenna plug).

Whether it will physically connect and power up, I don't know. I've yet to try, hope to do so tomorrow.

Last edited by 07WhiteHHR2LT; 04-21-2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added Pic

Quick Reply: OEM DVD Radio