Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 PM

Sorry all--I was under the assumption everyone had steering wheel controls for the PAL. It is still usable yes without them--as everyone has pointed out. I even use the knob occasionally, but primarily use the buttons. Again, the key thing is that you just hold the skip button a bit longer and it will change tracks for you--just the light touch will switch you to the radio.

And you really need to have it set up before you drive as you can't search for tracks, playlists, artists, etc. from the steering wheel controls.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 AM

Hi,
has anyone ever installed XM and the PAL addons simultaneously?

My new 2LT (dealer tells me it is a 2LT, even though the sticker calls it an LT with the 2LT preferred equipment group) has the seven speaker sound system, BUT did not have XM. (this surprised my dealer, since he thought all HHRs with the seven speaker system came with an XM radio)

He did some searching and found the GM XM radio accessory addon - and the PAL addon and ordered them both for me.

When it came time to install them, they ran into a hitch and was only able to get the XM radio addon installed.
He tells me there seems to be a wiring harness incompatibility between the two add ons - and they have a call into to tech support to try and find out if they are supposed to be compatible or not.

My radio is/was the one with single CD that is capable of playing MP3s - not the single CD found in the LS. I believe it is the US8.

So - is the PAL supposed to be installed INSTEAD of the XM add on (I think that is part number 17800594) or can it be installed IN ADDITION to the XM add on?

I am starting to suspect that it is an either/or situation - and that I'll be having the dealer return the PAL kit and refund my money for it.

If they ARE compatible with each other - I'd love a link to a service bulletin showing they are - that I could show my dealer.

Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 AM

I am not sure...all I know is, my sound system in my 2006 has XM, and the multi-disk player....and I can add-on a PAL at anytime.

I thought I read in this thread, or another about where the XM receiver is, and how to tap in to it for add-ons....hopefully your dealer can/will find what they need to. I dont see any reason why a brand new HHR cant have both XM and a PAL...unless you need the premium sound multi-CD player.
Perhaps your dealer can swing you a deal to replace your single CD with a multi-if that is what is required to have both XM and PAL.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by johnbegone
PAL should work through the steering wheel controls. You're supposed to hold down the skip button to get to the next track. I don't have steering wheel controls in mine (yet) so I can't testify that that is true.
Thanks for the heads up on holding the button. It WORKED! I wish I could find the box with the instructions, but I believe they have been tossed in the trash. My next problem is this. I have three play lists on the ipod. I don't know how to get just a specified play list to play. What is happening with me is every song on the IPOD plays (in alphabetical order, by artist name). Is there a way to get just a specified play list to play and not ALL of the songs? Also my ABC button doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM

I's still like to also find out how much a dealer charges for the tech2 re-flash.
I would love to have the PAL...but it really depends on what it costs to have the dealer flash the car.

I found a PAL for a Pontiac on ebay, and it listed the HHR as compatible...and I loved the fine print(and it was teenie-weenie)...saying:

"additional programming may be required on some vehicles. See your dealer for details"

yea.....that.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 AM

RCA jacks on PAL??

I just received my PAL today I nticed the rca jacks on PAL box The left and right channel(red and white) Doess anyone know what they are for? Thanks, John
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
I's still like to also find out how much a dealer charges for the tech2 re-flash.
I would love to have the PAL...but it really depends on what it costs to have the dealer flash the car.

I found a PAL for a Pontiac on ebay, and it listed the HHR as compatible...and I loved the fine print(and it was teenie-weenie)...saying:

"additional programming may be required on some vehicles. See your dealer for details"

yea.....that.
A tech2 re-flash should only need to be done if you have XM radio. Depending on the dealer cost to reflash could be from $50 to $100.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Under CAT view, you have six soft buttons to control three parameters. Each one sorts left or right under that parameter. The far left one should choose how the PAL sorts through your iPod. You can choose by Song, Artist, Album, or Playlist I believe. So go hit the second soft button until it say Sort by: Playlist. Then your rightmost buttons should control which playlist you select, so hit the 6th button until you come up with the right playlist. After that you can use the wheel or the steering wheel controls to pick your song. I would think the ABC buttons wouldn't work when sorting through Playlists, but maybe they do, I guess if you have a ton of playlists. Let me know if that works for you.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Thanks for the heads up on holding the button. It WORKED! I wish I could find the box with the instructions, but I believe they have been tossed in the trash. My next problem is this. I have three play lists on the ipod. I don't know how to get just a specified play list to play. What is happening with me is every song on the IPOD plays (in alphabetical order, by artist name). Is there a way to get just a specified play list to play and not ALL of the songs? Also my ABC button doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by suburbanjunior
I just received my PAL today I nticed the rca jacks on PAL box The left and right channel(red and white) Doess anyone know what they are for? Thanks, John
When using the PAL there is an AUX choice along with the iPOD selectios (Artist, Albumn, Son, etc.)
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM

OK thanks I will be sure and hook up cables to that before I close up the panels

Quick Reply: Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller