Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

The power of the Speakers is from the Head unit or from an amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 PM

The power of the Speakers is from the Head unit or from an amplifier?

Hi there. I´m planning to replace all the speakers from my HHR. Obviosly I would like to add a couple of aftermarket amplifiers. I want to keep the stock subwoofer. Then my questions are:

1. The 4 speakers (front & rear) power is from the Main head unit, or there´s is an extenal amplier?

2. In case that there´s is an external amplifier, is the the same that supplies the subwoofer, or there are two?

thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Subwoofer has a separate amp. The door speakers are the head unit I believe...... I haven't heard anything about a separate amp for those.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:53 PM

If its the premium sound system, there's an amp in the driver side rear attached to the subwoofer that drives all four speakers.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tuanies
If its the premium sound system, there's an amp in the driver side rear attached to the subwoofer that drives all four speakers.
This amp also drives to the subwoofer, or there is other for this?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 PM

The single amp drives the subwoofer too
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks for your feedback tuanies.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM

There should only be one amp in the back which powers the subwoofer (subwoofer draws too much power to be supplied by the head unit solely). Most stock speakers are powered directly from the head unit which is the case with the HHR.
My recommendation, buy an aftermarket head unit first that suits your needs (multiple preouts: one for the stock sub/amp and one for an aftermarket amp for the aftermarket speakers you are installing). Any good car audio and video retailer will tell you installing new speakers without adding an amp isn't going to change the sound much because your stock or aftermarket head unit isn't powerful enough to drive them. Next, add the multi channel amp and aftermarket speakers. Remember, if you have the Pioneer sound system you have six speakers total: two tweeters in the A pillars and one in each door. Buy component speakers for the front and matching singles for the rear. Changing brands front and rear will change the sound aspects so make sure they match! Third and last, having the aftermarket deck will give you the ability to easily upgrade the sub and amp later.
Obviously you can spend a ton of money here but it's worth it.
One thing I have noticed, the HHR has a ton of road noise. Use Dynamat to quite the ride and keep the sound crisp.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 AM

2x amps 6x speakers. 1x 800w Dual channel to a pair of 10s or 12s your choice. 1x 1200w Four channel amp and a set of good door speakers to match. leave the forward tweaters running from the head unit.

Its alot in that little interior. I dont have rear windows tho, your results may vary.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Question along the same lines. I have replaced my head unit with a carputer. (Laptop). I currently use the output (Head phones) out from the computer and plug them into the GMOS-LAN-04 adapter.

The output is ok , but I not near as loud as the head unit was. I am not by any means an audio tech. (I did have the premium sound system)

Can someone shed some light on this and how I can get the speaker volume back up to what I had when I was using the Head Unit.

2nd Question: When the computer is OFF, I hear feedback though the speakers while the power is on to the car. When the computer is on, I don't hear any feedback.

Thanks,

Rog
Old 01-21-2011, 04:13 PM

Well, I appreciate your comments about this. At this time, this is all the stuff that I have:

- Pioneer DVD Head Unit (already installed)
- 6 1/2" (260 W/60 W RMS) Sony component (not installed).
- 6 1/2" (200 W) Speakers on the back (Already installed, with the "Stock" power source).
- Sony Amplifier (280 W, not installed)

I´m think that a better option is have another 4 channel amplifier (for the 4 speakers), and connect the Sony to the Subwoofer. I would like to keep the stock amplifier for the subwoofer, but I don´t want to make a mess and many conections. I´m planning to place the amplifiers below the front seats frames... I´ll bring you the pictures and wish me luck.

Quick Reply: The power of the Speakers is from the Head unit or from an amplifier?