Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Question about headrest monitors.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:49 PM

Question about headrest monitors.

I am thinking about getting headrest monitors. I did a search and could not find an answer to my question. Is there a way for me to add monitors and have them play through the factory stereo? Does anybody know if this is even possible with the factory stereo? I really like the factory stereo and i don't want to take it out. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:53 PM

I'm not the best person to answer. I know of one east way and that's if your player has an FM transmiter.

I was thinking of getting a sunvisor player/monitor that does that. Saw it on ebay. I don't really wanna cut up my headrests so the visor thing may work for me.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:10 PM

Your best bet with headrest moniters are these. http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/...t_VIDEO_HM.htm , This is what we are going to put in mine. We sell them for $340 for the pair. Color may not match exactly, but there is not cutting . As far as the sound, you will want to add a wired or wireless fm modulator to your dvd player. I use a wired one with my aftermarket XM Commander to my stock player.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM

the ones form Chevy?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 AM

On my wife's '03 MPV, I installed a Concept DVD player with 7" MicroVision monitors in the headrests. I was lucky on that one that there was already a stock single DIN spot for a player. You can pick up a FM Modulator from any stereo shop. Then you only have to tune the radio to that station to hear the DVD. Mounting the monitors is easy, but can be un-nerving since you are facing your headrests with a razor. But it is easy, you basically place the backing plate of the monitor on the headrest, outline it, draw an "X" for the opening. The cut the "X" only, leaving about an inch before you get to the outline. Then remove some padding, and test fit the backing. Keep doing this until you get a nice flush fit. Some headrests have a plate in them, not sure if the HHR does or not. If it does, then you should be able to get some screws and attach the backing plate. If not, then you can use headliner/upholstery glue to mount the backing plate. Once that dries, snap the monitor in place (run wires through backing plate first). I ran the wiring through the headrest posts opening and then through the seat back. I pulled up the carpet and some of the side panels to hide the wiring.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 PM

Thank you guys. This information is very useful. I have installed other car electronics before. So i will install the monitors myself.