Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Questions on Installing Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Questions on Installing Subwoofer

No sub in my LS, and I want to install one in the stock location.

Do I need to remove the plastic panel to do this? And if so, is the panel as hard to remove as I read in another thread?

Can the install be done without removing the panel? Cutting out the hole, sound deadening the space (to create an "enclosure"), and mounting the speaker?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
ecl

you shouldnt have to cut a hole it should already be there. I also have an LS and no sub but if you look back there there is a hole just has a cover on it and doesnt have the grill like ones with a sub. As far as I know you would need to remove the panel just so you have room, not sure how you would get a sub back there with out removing it. As far as difficulty im not real sure Ive never done it, but doesnt look to be to hard just remove a couple bolts and there you go.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Rest In Peace

Check this out, they put the Sub IN the rear spare tire area and you have all your cargo space.

They did it in a 2008 HHR, same year I am looking at.

Clean install, and looks pretty easy to build the box.
http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/elect...dup/index.html

I plan on doing something very close and adding head rest monitors and in dash monitor head unit like Putter did to his HHR here>
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/picture-media-11/new-guy-mods-30564/

I Hope to get the 2008 Black Panel I am looking at and those head rest monitors will be perfect for the rear seat addition I do, I am looking at the set of monitors that include Games and controllers, possibly the same brand as Putter used.

Anyways that spare tire area looks like a Sweet spot to add a Sub and a Bigger sub over the side panel area without loosing cargo space. Read the whole artical.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 AM

You would want to remove the panel. You need to construct something solid to mount the sub to, not just screw it to the plastic interior. Then theres also wires that need to be run.
I would make a wood or fiberglass enclosure that fits back there, just sound deadening the space isnt going to make much difference.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Well, I went to install the sub today in the factory location, and once I realized I had to take out half of the interior just to get that panel out, I gave up. It's NOT just a couple bolts. Plus I would have to leave it all unassembled for a while while I planned and built an enclosure, and this is my daily driver. So now I'm thinking about alternate locations.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 PM

When I took the panel off the other day I noticed there was no actual enclosure. It does have the spot for it but there are other pieces you would need to get for it to work. I want to do it just because I want more bass and have the same about of room, I don't want a big box in the rear of the car.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 PM

a stock box may be found on ebay...use a shallow sub of your liking but it will have to be mounted since its not a straight bolt in,minor problem..add a small amp that can be mounted in several places and be out of sight and out of the way..can be simple or as complicated as you like.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 AM

Does anyone know what the dimensions of the working space are in the stock sub space? Is it big enough for a 10" shallow mount with a custom fiberglass box?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 PM

the stock box barely made .3 c ft. space...theres not much room there with all the contours..
Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
the stock box barely made .3 c ft. space...theres not much room there with all the contours..
Is that .3cu ft the dimensions of the stock box or the space behind the panel? I only have pictures to go by as I haven't actually looked behind the panel yet, but it seems there is some space to the left of the wheel well that the stock box doesn't utilize. Im thinking a fiberglass box can be built with more than .3cu ft of space. Either way, ill probably go with an 8" because it seems like putting a 10" there would require some major alteration of the back panel (more than just adding a grill to the hole where one would go.) Most of the 8"s I have looked at only require .3 to .5 for optimal sealed enclosures.

How well is the stock box made, is it just molded plastic crap or what? Worth trying to find one?

Quick Reply: Questions on Installing Subwoofer