Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Sirius installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Sirius installation

Hello everyone. I am looking for suggestions or ideas on a clean installation for a Sirius unit with the factory XM radio. I've been using my current Sirius unit just sitting in the change tray under the radio, antenna running out the drivers door, and an AUX cable in the front of the radio I got from Radio Shack. Its all just thrown in and works good but not very clean looking. I'm getting a new Sportster 5 and would like a more permanent and clean install. Any ideas?

One particular question I have had is can I use the factory XM antenna on the car somehow? Or how can I easily run the Sirius antenna to the back and replace the factory XM one?

Thanks and Happy 4th!!!!

Last edited by k5hart; 07-06-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Any ideas anyone??
Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 AM

Give me a min and I`ll take some pics. I have the same radio tucked in the dash compartment.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Mine is mounted at the back of the compartment which allows the lid to close with the radio in place. I drilled a 1" hole at the front left corner which allows the cables/antennae to be routed into the compartment and the excess coiled up and stored underneath the compartment. The antennae is shoe-gooed at the base of the windshield on the dash,the cable goes between the back of the compartment and the dash,the extra is coiled up and zip tied,and the plug end comes up through the hole and plugs into the Sirius base. Power is run from the cigarette plug into a 5v adapter then to the base. I use a 1/8" plug from the line out into the front of the radio. The base is secured with two screws coming through the compartment into the threaded holes on the back of the base.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 AM

Thanks tsaints! That's a great idea and it looks like the unit fits perfect. Do you use the remote control with the unit and how does it work if the lid is shut? Interesting idea for the antenna. Do you have any reception issues?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

I did the same thing with my XM Xpress radio:

I installed the antenna on the rear roof and routed the antenna through the washer line boot, through the edge of the headliner, and down under the dash. I didn't drill any holes in the upper dash compartment and just used the existing holes where the hinges come through. You can't use an infrared remote when the lid is closed, and it will rattle a bit when you drive if you don't brace it with a pen or something. The nice thing is not having to constantly take it out and hide it when parking the car.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM

I really like the unit in compartment. Thanks for that idea. Anybody know if I can make the factory XM antenna work with sirius?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by k5hart
I really like the unit in compartment. Thanks for that idea. Anybody know if I can make the factory XM antenna work with sirius?
The antennas are interchangeable. I don't know where the factory tuner box is though, but , you could also wire the Sirius direct tuner to the "XM ready" factory HU and it will work. It will say "XM1", "XM2", etc..., but the stations will be Sirius. Vice versa, the Sirus units say SR1 channel 1, but the station is XM Preview...haha. The interface protocol is the same, bitstreams from the tuner to HU is the same, just a different set of satellites. The newest radios are simply touted as "Sat Radio Ready". no more "XM Ready" or "Sirius Ready". If you guys can wait til Feb'09, Sirius and XM content will start to merge. Either service will be available to either "box".
Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by k5hart

this thread is about using the factory XM antenna

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/hijacking-xm-radio-antenna-2595/
Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 AM

Collyn, good idea but I already have the Sirius Sportster and like the ability to take it in the house.

Norcalmike, I found that post last night. I'm still not clear on how the antenna reaches the radio. It looks like it leaves the box in the rear and goes to the headunit via factory harness. I may PM jerij and ask.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Sirius installation