Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

So-So Sound - Is It The Stereo or the Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 AM

So-So Sound - Is It The Stereo or the Speakers?

I'm not impressed with the stereo in my new LS. I'd rather not replace the stereo unless I have to. Will replacing the speakers help? I just don't want to replace them and still have it sound like the stereo in my old Caravan.

I still need to try a CD, though. Maybe XM is so compressed that it doesn't sound good? I thought it would sound near-CD quality, and I can't subscribe if it sounds like this.

If new speakers would help, any recommendations? I would definitely get good ones, but I also don't have hundreds to burn. Kenwood? Pioneer?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Speakers will help some but you will probally nees some kind of amp to provide some boost to your sound. I know the 8 speaker pioneer system with subwoofer on the 2LT sounds pretty darn good good clarity and ommph.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM

I always had good luck with Alpine head units
Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 AM

2LT sound

I am pleased with the sound from the speakers and subwoofer included with the 2LT trim. But I like to be spoiled! I bought the loaded 2LT so that anything I modified didn't duplicate factory options. However, amplifiers and speakers are pretty generic, and specialty shops do upgrades like this all the time at fair prices. I don't believe it would be cost-effective to try to reproduce the factory upgraded system.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Its the stereo, I just upgraded my head unit and WOW
Old 06-10-2010, 02:03 PM

It's the speakers and amp. I deadened the inside of my HHR, replaced the amp, and replaced all the speakers and noticed a huge difference. replacing the headunit might help as well, but I liked the stock look.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM

I don't know who to agree with. I got the Pioneer System, and its pretty good, but it seems that the minute you plug in an I-Pod it is so much better, there is a definte increase in sound performance, so I'm going with the head unit. It also seems to like XM over cd's and radio, but I-Pod is the best sound I get.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 AM

Is it the head unit or the speakers? I would say probably both.

I could not find data on the wattage of the stock unit, but would bet that a mediocre aftermarket head unit would be an improvement.

But of course, with added power, you are more likely to damage your stock speakers, so those may eventually need to be replaced as well.

I would start with a new head unit, if it were my car. I personally prefer pioneer, but there are several relatively inexpensive head units out there that should be a noticeable improvement. Then you can upgrade the speakers latter, when you have more cash.

I don't think new speakers would make a great difference before a head unit because they will only be receiving a limited amount of power.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Agreed. a new HU will deffinently feed a better and cleaner signal to even your stock speakers vs what the stock HU will do. replacing the speakers after that will then be another night and day difference. adding an amp for them on top of that will be another night and day :)

its all how much money you wanna spend. it can get expensive quick :)

i too like the stock look of the HU, but im thinking about getting a pioneer avh-p4200dvd. i would keep the stock HU and just get a line out converter, but i hate having to control my iPod from the iPod itself, i like having a nice interface built into the head unit to control songs with ease.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ufvj217
Agreed. a new HU will deffinently feed a better and cleaner signal to even your stock speakers vs what the stock HU will do. replacing the speakers after that will then be another night and day difference. adding an amp for them on top of that will be another night and day :)

its all how much money you wanna spend. it can get expensive quick :)

i too like the stock look of the HU, but im thinking about getting a pioneer avh-p4200dvd. i would keep the stock HU and just get a line out converter, but i hate having to control my iPod from the iPod itself, i like having a nice interface built into the head unit to control songs with ease.
With the '09 2LT I have the upgraded sound and i have a USB port and AUX port on the radio and with a simple cable you can plug your Ipod in and control the Ipod with the radio controls even the steering controls. It is awesome! And all I did to improve my sound was to add a 12 inch sub and a 1200 watt amp to give me a little more bass.

Quick Reply: So-So Sound - Is It The Stereo or the Speakers?