Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
The phone in the OnStar system is a CDMA system with a full 3 watts on the Verizon system. Most cell phones operate at a fraction of a watt something on the order of 0.5 or 0.6 watts. Anything higher and the battery life would be awful. Since OnStar is 6 times as powerful it naturally has a greater range.
That would explain why people say that their OnStar works in places where their cell phones won't.

The way they explained how the remote door unlock works makes a lot more sense now.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 AM

Ok I am going to put on my flame retardant suit before I post this....

To those that are worried about OnStar tracking your every move, I call it paranoia. They only know your location when you initiate a call, besides it's not like it uploads your bank account info, SSN, medical records and your deep dark secrets, just your location. So what if they see that I am driving down the street in Wichita. does the system have the potential to be abused? Of course but so does any computer technology. If you have ever used a cell phone The carriers know your location by triangulation from the cell towers, even if you are not making a call the phone has to register with the towers. Or maybe you have used a credit or debit card. They know how much and where you spend your money, Or how about something as innocuous as using a search engine like Google or Yahoo, they keep track of what you search for. I suppose you could ride a bike, pay with cash and just use pay phones (if you can find one). I however will enjoy the technology that makes things easier. If they collect some info on me thats fine I have nothing to hide.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Banned

To those that are worried about OnStar tracking your every move, I call it paranoia.
Doesn't just about every cell phone come embedded with a GPS chip now days? Granted on my last phone I could turn it off from the options menu so it would only work during 911 calls but who knows if it actually did turn off. It could have been on all the time and just given me the off icon so I think it's off. With both OnStar and a cell phone they could be tracking your every move!

Last edited by captain howdy; 08-31-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 AM

To those that are worried about OnStar tracking your every move, I call it paranoia. They only know your location when you initiate a call,
or request that the vehicle be tracked if the vehicle is stolen.
They also know where you are when you use the turn by turn feature (if you subscribe to it).
Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM

I understand the benefits of On-star, but I just don't like the idea. Just one more way that they can watch you. I know, the whole big brother theory.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:58 PM

Used it for the first time today. I was lost... Worked great! I got un-lost is minutes.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 PM

I had onstar in my Trailblazer for 5 years never used it once was a waste of money. I have a cell phone that has a speaker phone and a warranty if the car breaks down. If I call for a tow truck and I dont know where I am I probably shouldn't be driving. Also have the roadside assistance so basically I threw hundreds of dollars out the window just my opinion
Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by stick
I understand the benefits of On-star, but I just don't like the idea. Just one more way that they can watch you. I know, the whole big brother theory.
I agree. It's not a question of what they "usually do", but a question of what "they" can do, given a pretense. I suppose the e-diagnostics are nifty, but otherwise, there isn't a whole lot I think On-Star could ever do for me that good wireless service, regular maintenance, and a magnetic key box doesn't. Even the OBD benefits largely go away with the addition of a CarPC and OBD interface, something that doesn't cost much more than OnStar itself for the 06-07 HHR's.

In the end, i guess it would be handy to have a meat wagon auto-dispatched if the airbag went off and I couldn't respond, but the thought of that doesn't keep me up at night as much as the prospect of some predator drone circling overhead with a big red "Remmie" flashing in its crosshairs. As far as I'm concerned, LT stands for "Libertarian Transport". :)
Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

I have it but I don't see the common everyday benefit. In the very rare chance the car goes off a cliff in a desolate area it would have been nice.

However a couple of politicians and a former police officer were brought down in a corruntion sting in Las Vegas (allowed by the Patriot Act). The recording of their conversations through the On Star system nailed them. It was used in court to convict them. Thats a good use for it but not applicable in my life.

I support the Patriot Act but don't feel some bored On Star rep should have access to my vehicle.

I have a phone, I have enough confidence in the car not to need a printout every month of "issues." I only drive about 100 miles a week.

AAA is less expensive regarding key issues and events of that nature.

The benefit is not owrth the cost in my world on any level.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 PM

I think it's a great idea, and gives you that 'piece of mind' feeling. As I have GPS, and a cell phone, I'm not really sure exactly how much I'll use it, but the vehicle diags might be cool. As for whether they can track you via GPS, honestly, who gives a damn. Personally, I think if you don't want someone to know where you are, you must be doing something wrong!

My favorite part of the blurb I read on the website was "OnStar voice recognition system may not work with some voices". I guess that rules out me with my British accent?!

Quick Reply: ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it