Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Stock Subwoofer Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Stock Subwoofer Location

I dug a little through the threads to try and find this, but nothing really hit what I was looking for.

I'm wondering A) how deep the stock sub location is on the car, and B) how wide of a sub will fit in the hole.

I'm looking to possibly upgrade the whole sound system, and want it to look as stock as possible (I've had two car stereos stolen in my life - I've learned my lesson). I don't want to attract ANY attention to my car, but want a better quality of sound than the stock system provides (although it's great for stock).

I said all that to say this... I don't want a sub box or a bazooka sub or anything that advertises "LOOK AT ME!!!! STEAL ME!!!". I want the sub to sit in the hole provided and be covered to look stock.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Without modification I believe only an 8 inch sub will fit. I have tried to keep mine as stock looking as possible. So far the 2 biggest changes I have seen have come from quality sound deadening and replacing the speakers up front. The sub is the next item on my list. There are several pics in the sub box thread of people who have used sound deadening material to seal their stock sub box. From what I have read that is making a pretty big difference. At some point though sticking with 1 8 inch sub in such a small box will limit what volume you can produce, but you should still be able to get a clean sounding system.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the info about the size of the sub. Any idea about the depth?

I'm not looking for "rattle your teeth out" bass. Just looking to add some more roundness to the sound, and fill in the bass notes, so I think the 8" should do fine especially with some dynamat or something like it to deaden the resonance in the stock box.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM

I guess another option would be the Infinity bass link, but I'm not sure how to mount it without being seen, yet still providing good sound.

Does anyone have this one, and if so, how did you mount it? Any pics?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:06 PM

heres a post with the infinity
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...&postcount=226
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 PM

Not quite what I was looking for, so maybe it won't work out too well.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM

Anyone have any experience with this puppy?

Boss 10" low profile powered sub
Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM

Take a look at the Kicker CompVT 08vt84 Seems to be a popular upgrade for the HHR.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM

Living in NYC, I have the same concerns as you. I tried everything I could, short of using fiberglass and sealing the entire stock location area. My final attempt was using a lot of Dynamat on every surface, enlarging the hole in the panal, sealing it with wood behind and infront of the opening so the speaker would fit flat with an airtight seal, using fiberglass to take up the extra airspace, and trying several 10 inch subs including one that was 'freeair'. The bottom line-nothing worked well. Ultimately, I built a small box that is very stealth and mounts to the back of the rear seat. I carpeted it black to match the interior (which I also changed to black) and it is hardly visible from the outside. Since it is attached to the seat, it tilts forward when I fold the seat for more storage. I mounted the amps on the back of the other seat, and cover them with 4 hats which hang over them, again hiding them from prying eyes yet allowing air to circulate to keep them cool. Plus, at car shows, I can remove the hats. Photos are in the sub thread-https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3464&page=14
It really gives a lot of bass-enough to shake the seats nicely.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM

Hey Lee3333

Born and raised in Ridgewood off of Forest and Metropolitan. Left NY in 1990. Was back for Christmas in 2007, lots of changes!!!

Quick Reply: Stock Subwoofer Location