Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Two Front Door Speakers Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
MCT

Two Front Door Speakers Question

I have searched and maybe found the answer, but not sure.

I first noticed the chime not working, researched it, and checked the driver's door speaker, it was not working. Then found the passenger front door speaker was also not working. Tweeters above dash and rear speakers are fine.

Is it strange both front door speakers would stop at the same time? The car was not driven over the winter, worked fine before but not now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Technical Moderator

Some have found loose wires at the radio. I'd take the speakers out for a test on some other piece of equipment, or at least VOM the coils. The typical thing is water causes corrosion in the coils.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM
MCT

Well, recently moved the car from one side of the drive to the other and realized the chime was working with the key in the ignition and the door open. Then checked the radio and found both front speakers were working. Must be something loose, who knows. Time will tell, thanks for the tips.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Balance/Fade, black holes, Bermuda Triangle
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM

My front speakers started having issue during and after rain. Now, they stop even if it just looks cloudy. tweeters work, but neither front speaker. any ideas?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Caverbill
My front speakers started having issue during and after rain. Now, they stop even if it just looks cloudy. tweeters work, but neither front speaker. any ideas?
Got a chuckle from that.

I would guess you've got a corroded connection at the rear of the speakers or the speakers are ready to quit altogeather. Most likely caused by water intrusion to the backside of the speakers. Cause? Water will seep between the window glass and rubber weatherstrip and find it's way down to the speakers. It happens on other types of cars/trucks, so don't think it is just a HHR problem.
Only way to check is pull the door panel and take a look.
Another probability is where the wiring passes through the A-pillar/door frame.
Either one could be the issue, but I would guess the speaker/connection.

Missed it! You're a newbee. Welcome to the site.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by MCT
I have searched and maybe found the answer, but not sure.

I first noticed the chime not working, researched it, and checked the driver's door speaker, it was not working. Then found the passenger front door speaker was also not working. Tweeters above dash and rear speakers are fine.

Is it strange both front door speakers would stop at the same time? The car was not driven over the winter, worked fine before but not now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I'm really sorry to hear that your speakers went out because I know that can be a bummer when trying to listen to your tunes. I can definitely look into this situation for you. Could you private message me your name, vehicle identification number (VIN), address, and currently mileage? Thanks a lot and have a great day.

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 AM

Same happened to my 07 HHR and it eneded up being the radio being fried.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM

I rwplaced all mine all my speakes went dead coroted I got a set or sony ecplod from usa and I used the original speakers remove all the plastc and speaker magnet and used it as a mounting ring was prety simple. Once tou pull all the speaker guts out of than plastic frame. Hate how gm had made the speakers to mount the way the did. Just clips into the door
Old 05-18-2013, 03:19 AM
Premium Member

The tweeters in the a-pillars and 6.5" mids in the doors are bridged together. They are each 4 ohm. Presenting a 2 ohm load per channel to the stock unit.

If the tweeters are not working, but the door speakers ARE, it's because the tweeters were probably blown out from having bass (note: I did not say "some" bass, because if you play the music loud with any bass at all, the tweeters will die fast) OR they have came loose.

But I'm guessing you played music with the bass up to "add bass". That little capacitor filter on the tweeters can only do so much. It's not a magical "Bass blocker" like you would think.

I put my stock tweeters on an amp and they sound amazing. Much louder and clearer than stock. But you can't give them any bass.

To take the a-pillar off, pry off the "air bag" logo, unscrew the bolt/screw and pull out and up. Check the tweeter with an ohm meter (you can't use the wires that are connected to the blue snap in plug because of the capacitor or something, you gotta find an open wire next to where those are connected on the tweeter)

If they read about 4 ohms, then they should be find. Check the wire connection if all else checks out.

I ran new wires to my tweeters so I have them separate from the door mids. It was very easy and took about 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Two Front Door Speakers Question